Farmhouse Cheddar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmhouse Cheddar

If its one thing I like its cheese... I mean who doesn't like cheese? Since I'm big in cured meats my girlfriend and I decided to try our luck at making cheese. We went with a cheese kit to make things easy... The kit has everything you need to get started. While you don't need a cheese press it does make things a little easier. We just used different things laying around the house to press the cheese. Once the cheese has been pressed its set to dry for a few days to develop a rind. After the rind has developed you then wax your cheese. The most important thing you need is a aging chamber. Since I have a chamber for curing meats it works perfect for aging cheese. If anyone is interested in how to make cheese click on the link below. If anyone who is wondering what the slab of meat hanging its pancetta. It will be done in about 2 weeks. I will be making another post about my curing chamber and what you need to set one up.

Attached Files

Interesting! I'm curious how it will taste!

Comment

That cheese wheel looks 100% better than your last "cheese" thread offering.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

haha... Thanks Tuco! The cheese will be ready around the 2nd week in July so ill update the post when we cut into it.

Comment

You should do a few more and really age them. They don't seem to get a good flavor until around 6 mos old. Not that I am an expert at making cheese or anything but Ive had a lot of homemade farm cheese from a dairy.

Comment

Thanks J-sweet! Yea the recipe we followed said 2 months minimum but I think your right. The next few cheeses we are going to do will be aged at least 6months or longer. And instead of waxing the cheese we are going to let the cheese develop a natural aged rind.

Comment

Cool and you are in the area so if it comes out good you can share

Just kidding.

Comment

Update on the cheese.... After noticing some white fluid coming out of the waxed cheese we decided to cut into it to see what it looked like. No mold but there was a lot of liquid dripping out of it. After reading some articles, we think the curds had to much whey in them causing lactic acid to form inside the cheese wheel. Oh well... we will try our luck again and see what happens.

Comment

****!!! I guess you got to press the moisture out better. Ive never done it only seen it done. What did you use for a press? The wheel looked pretty dry in the pic you posted.

Comment

We didn't have a cheese press so we used a 35lb kettle ball and pressed it for 12hrs on each side. We really needed 50lbs of pressure but we couldn't find anything that heavy to set on top of the cheese mold. The next batch we make we will have a cheese press.

Comment

You could probably engineer something using a car jack or vise. Get a plastic bucket and cut the bottom off of it making a cylinder, then drill holes all along the bottom third. Use the cut off bottom as a template to cut tow circles pieces of ply wood 1 inch thick. Under your Truck in the garage put some newspaper down on the ground, then the first piece of wood and then the bucket cylinder over that. Dump in the curd mass and then the other piece of wood on top. Get you truck jack in that sucker and start applying pressure using your truck as a counter weight.

Comment

That sounds like a good idea but since we are going to be making cheese often we are going to buy a good press.

Comment

Oh, I see. Mine isn't good, gotcha.

Comment

You might get some added ingredients in the cheese doing it under the truck!!!

Comment

Wow! This is just NEAT. Kuddos to y'all for giving a go, I've always wanted to try my hand at it! Gonna have to look into that [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X