Late spring food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late spring food plot

Well I did this two years ago when we were getting all the rain and the plot was amazing. ( See attached post). I planted this one two days earlier than I did two years ago. Sunday since it had rained, I went out and mowed the back, disced it up, seeded and drug it. It rained Sunday night early Monday am. Let's see if I can get a repeat of two years ago. Last years plot did not do near as well!

Attached Files

I bet it does great. I put mine in about the same time as I did last year(first of May), but haven't gotten much rain. I'm on the fence about re-tilling and re-planting the entire plot. Not a lot of germination as of yet.

Comment

The recent rain should get you rolling! I will post on the 7 day mark like last time. Not near the rain yet so I doubt that it will be close to the other plot.

Comment

Looks like good ground. I think you're planting at the right time myself. I just finished up on mine a week or two ago. Last year on one property we had so much rain I didn't get my peas planted until the middle of June and planted in mud then. They took off, did really great, and the deer finally ate them down about the middle of September. Worked out fine, and I'll bet yours does too. This year I started about the last week in April, but I plant three different places so I had to start then to finish when I did.

Comment

It will do good since your timing was great. Rains will green up the landscape and keep deer off the plot to let it establish. Ground and night temps are much better this time of the year than earlier also. Post some pics for us later on.

Comment

My dove plot went in May 7th. Since then I have had about 2.25" of rain on it. Cant wait to see what is popping up tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
              My dove plot went in May 7th. Since then I have had about 2.25" of rain on it. Cant wait to see what is popping up tomorrow.
              How did it look? Here is a picture of mine 8.5 days in. Not bad but I have been running the sprinkler on her.
              Attached Files

Comment

Make that just shy of 3". I wont be able to check it out again until June 16th...Hope it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                  How did it look? Here is a picture of mine 8.5 days in. Not bad but I have been running the sprinkler on her.
                  I ran 200' of hose, then 50' of soaker hose. Im not sure it is/was doing much good other than where the hose connections leaked...those areas looked good.

Comment

I ran 200' of hose, then 50' of soaker hose. Im not sure it is/was doing much good other than where the hose connections leaked...those areas looked good.
                    I bet you will have a 50' section that rocks for sure! We skated for some rain this week. I need a good long soaking rain to get all of it coming up.

Comment

Just got my disc fixed end of last week, disked and planted 10 acres with Alyce clover with Browntop millet as a cover both are for deer, just in time for the big rain Sunday evening.

Planted about the same time last year and the plots did well.

I think yours will do well. Rain is predicted for the next week or so, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                        Just got my disc fixed end of last week, disked and planted 10 acres with Alyce clover with Browntop millet as a cover both are for deer, just in time for the big rain Sunday evening.

Planted about the same time last year and the plots did well.

I think yours will do well. Rain is predicted for the next week or so, as well.
                        Sounds like you timed it just right! We got a quick hard shower yesterday evening and are slated for rain Fri, Sat and Sunday. If it does she should take ok like gang busters.

Comment

Working...
                        X