View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #68
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Rick's mention of practicing archery to be the best traditional bowHUNTER possible reminds me of a competition event that strives to simulate this concept. In the International Bowhunter's Organization (IBO) Mid-America Traditional Competition -- held at my home club the Austin Archery Club -- a couple of years ago, there was a category labeled Traditional Hunter, I believe. Competitors could use any traditional bow -- recurve, longbow or selfbow -- but a key aspect called for using arrows that weighed at least 10 grains per pound of stated draw weight for one's bow. I also know that I always use my same hunting set-up (of heavy arrows) for all 3D shoots, as does Bisch on here and, I imagine others as well. Point is to try and simulate a little bit of pressure similar to a hunting shot via competition in shooting at foam animals' vitals for score instead of at real animals for meat. Like many sports, peer competition is part of it, but you're really shooting against yourself, trying to be the best you can be.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top