No announcement yet.

East Texas Mountain Lion or Black Panther Sightings/ Killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never seen a black cat and doubt they exist in East Tx, BUT I have seen a regular mountain lion on a couple of occasions. I have also seen several white whitetails and one black whitetail buck, it was one of the largest bucks I have ever seen in east texas. I have several buddies that swear they have seen black cats, but I wonder if that had to do with ten too many adult beverages or a left handed cigarette or two

Comment

With all these mountain lion sightings in East Texas the mindset of not shooting them and the rarity of seeing them should be tossed out the window. I expect the East Texas thread be blown up with ldps of dead kitties!

Comment

Ocelot, Ocelot where have you gone.....morning is over and a new slouch is on.....

Comment

The amount of people that claim to have seen a black panther is just astounding.

Hell, the amount of people that claim the animal they are looking at on a game cam pic is a mountain lion, when its obvious it's a bobcat, also astounds me.

Then there's always the obligatory, "I've been a hunter all my life, I know what I saw."

Comment

Mountain Lion, Puma, Panther, Catamount, Cougar and Mountain Cat are all the same animal. They do NOT carry the GENE to be BLACK. However, if you've seen a black one your not crazy. It is likely that you THOUGHT you saw a black Panther when you were actually looking at a JAGUARUNDIE. a Jaguarundie looks a lot like a mountain lion but is only about 18" tall. You can Google the name and see if that's what you saw. Remember you DID NOT see a BLACK Panther, Puma, Cougar, Mt. Lion, Catamount or Mt. Cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuller View Post
              So would you guys advocate killing one of these obvious rare black panthers in order to prove all of the naysayers wrong? I know a picture would not do....it would just be torn apart.
              I don't care if he's purple with pink polkadots, if a big cat walks out in range of me im slingin an arrow or lead at his big feline arse

Comment

Originally posted by Cable View Post
                Don't exist. Period.
                are you sure its posiable just like black bears in south texas they can migrate

Comment

I have seen a mountain lion when I was at a family members property a few years back. would rather only see another one when I have a rifle in my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    When I was about 10 or so, I heard one behind our house one night. Talk about give you the willies. My uncle said he saw one one evening while running his dogs on a timber plantation by his house. Another on reported just up the road from us in some friends pasture right off the highway. All this was on 255 from colmesneil to jasper. When I was in high school, supposedly someone's horse was killed by one behind the sheriffs office in woodville. They are there, that thick timber will hide more things than you know it.
                    Bud Davis got on some pretty rank horses back in Jasper, or so he says.

I still think he should've forgot about the homely Sissy and stuck with the strange!

Comment

When [I] was a kid I hunted in Jackson Co I saw one big cat he was dark brown. We called them mop tails or mexican lions their tail was longer than the body with a mop on it. It was sitting on a levy and watching me. We saw cat tracks all the time and my dad shot at one that was under his stand. Dad was born in 1917 and he hunted all over Tx. He told us tells about lions from north Tx to Larado. I think that most Black panthers are the chocolate ones.
                      Just my thinking.

Comment

Very simple, if they existed one would get popped on a trail cam. Show me a pic? I believe they don't exist here in Texas. My .02.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                          Neither melanisn nor albinism occurs in the Mountain lion population. Jaguars however do have a black color phase.
                          Ding ding ding. And jaguars are originally native to Texas. Albeit the southers part.

Comment

Back in the early 80's i hunted around Pledger,Old Ocean area and the Game Warden would come by regular and check to see what we saw or killed.Told us to watch for mountain lion that had been seen in the area.About a week later my brother in law and i saw one on a pipeline easement sitting under some huge live oaks.He looked black under the tree shadow but when he ran across the pipeline you could easily tell he was brown,tan color.Maybe the reason behind the black sightings as maybe they tend to stay in the shadows and stalk there prey.Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Cougars (Mountain Lion's) (Florida Panthers) Yes
                              Black Panthers. Nope There might occasions where one is a little darker than normal but not Black.

Comment

We were told in the GW academy that there is not a black phase of mountain lion. I have never seen a pic of one...dead or alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X