Lbj Extreme Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lbj Extreme Hunt

Ok guys let's see pics and several stories...!!! I can't wait...!

Pretty tame actually. Windy, cold, fish were not biting, saw very few squirrels, coyotes have done a number on the rabbits, so we regressed and broke out the MREs, venison and antelope meat.

I figured that since my deer was taken from the Grasslands, but back during the season, that this constituted us living off of the land. It was just a difference in time frames when it was killed and when it was eaten. I processed it by the way.

Mike came up with the idea that if you dropped whatever you wanted to eat on the ground first, that that constituted eating off of the land.

Toona brought the antelope meat from his trip to Wyoming. Now I would not say that it is IMPOSSIBLE for an antleope to wander over near Cottonwoood lake from Wyoming, but we just pretended and Mike dropped his food on the ground.

You are the master of morale, and you were not there. Did your wife get the pea gravel slinging done?

Toona took some pics. Maybe he can post them.

Dave in Denton

Comment

WHAT..!!!! You guys broke the "extreme" out of the extreme hunt? (paper grocery sack over head) Yes I guess I should have been there to keep everyone on the right track. Next time we will have to do it like the EXTREME GRANGER HUNT and not break the rules. I was hoping I would hear you guys say that if you didn't get anything, you at least ate tree bark or made coffee out of dead pine needles. If you camped at the cottonwood camp, I know there are "crows" all over the place. Dave I know you have eaten crow a few times in your life as I have done...! LOL

Yes The pea gravel has been spread all 8 yards of the dang stuff. I will have to post a pick of it, it looks so nice I hate to park on it..! LOL I will after the inspector comes back and inspects it.

Next time guys, we will have to put the extreme in LBJ Extreme Hunt. I will be there next time and I know we will be eating off the land. Might be skwirl everytime night but we wil eat. I know of a few places that you can fill a gunny sack with them. Remember there is no limit on them...!

Comment

I hang my head in shame. I am not worthy.

It kindof morphed into a chilled out camping experience. I brought the homemande cherry wine and everything. I think that goes with squirrel.

We can attempt it again if you would like.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Yes I think you guys need another weekend to redeem yourselves. I guess jerky would be ok as they used it as hard tack back in the day and hunters sticks, but other than that we eat what we kill or don't eat at all?

Comment

Geez Buck you are a radical did ya get p gravel in your shorts

Comment

No Rick, why call it an extreme hunt if it aint? And BTW, I can't even park on the gravel, it's too thick and my truck get's stuck. LOL

Once me and my nephew did the extreme hunt. We made a lean too to sleep under, we only had water, 12 shotgun shells, sleeping bags, a pot, one frying pan and a couple of more items. (no food) He was 12 years old and enjoyed the heck out of it. We ate skwirls, rabbits, a couple of dove and a fish or two. This was the most fun I ever had with him and we learned that you can eat off the land if you so put yor mind to it.

I thought maybe my best friends wouldn't let us down and we would hear stories of how they had to eat grubs or something. You know heck make it up. LOL

Comment

I ain't got no problem with the whole extreme survival thing. I had to got through survival training in the military. I know how. This was a logistical probe into for future extreme hunts. It was just a good time to be had by all. We decided to just chill out.

We did scout out the area, and the gobblers are already henned up but the hens are having none of it and are not ready yet. Can't blame a guy for trying though. Not a single call was heard, no hens, no gobbles. Saw large groups of jakes and hens mixed up, and some bachelor groups. No doubt they will split up soon and start getting vocal.

Sorry to let you down Bob.

Dave in Denton

Comment

No one let any one down my friend. So the turkey aren't doing much hey.I know where I heard them during deer season,about 5 places. We need to put our heads together and come up with a strategy of some sort.

Mike do you remember where we walked to when you first wanted to hunt. Waaaaaaay back there. That is one good area for the birds as they will come off roost and head to that field to eat. Then there is some water around and that is also good.

Dave remember where you put your bow stand up? Back further towards the road is a very good place for them as well, I am hoping to make at least 4 trips out to see what I can do this year.

Call me here soon and we can talk turkey

Comment

Will do, I am ready for the season.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Bob you're right. We saw turkey tracks all over the back section.

Mike

Comment

There are no turkey at LBJ!!!!!!!

Comment

UUUHHHH, You're right Toona!!! Disregard all the above. (subliminal message)

Dave in Denton

Comment

There are also no deer, squirrels, rabbits, hogs, fish ,etc...which is why I do all my extreme hunting at Frillys for there are no grubs either...Buck-a-do that sounds like it would be a lot of fun camping like that but I am afraid that my hunting skills are so rusty we'd starve and that mountain lion that isn't there would decide that lean-to would make a nice place to take a nap after snacking on my backside

Comment

Dave you have shamed us all (said in a joking manner)

The Granger Rangers have turned their backs to you'all. I suggest that you start a "LBJ we couldn't do it" hunt

Comment

Working...
                              X