Battered Shark Bites!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battered Shark Bites!!

My boyfriend & I visited some family recently in Florida and stayed in Dunedin. We fished every day while we were there and basically caught nothing but shark. 2 good sized blacknose and 5 small blacktip. Good thing they're DELICIOUS! And really a blast to reel in.

Here is a recipe we've perfected and love. How do y'all cook your shark???

Gut and bleed out shark immediately after catching. Filet, remove skin, & and season with spices of choice. We use Cajun Blake’s “Ragin Blaze.” Put seasoned filets in baggies with a little bit of water and freeze until you’re ready to cook.

Some say to soak in milk for a few hours before seasoning and freezing. We did this with one filet and did not notice any different in taste when cooked versus filets not soaked in milk. The key is to gut and bleed out immediately after reeling in.

Marinade:
    Thaw your filet(s). Add some soy sauce in your baggie and let soak for a few hours. I wouldn’t soak more than a few hours. The shark absorbs the heck out of the flavor of the soy sauce. 30 minutes before cooking, cut the filets into 1-1.5 inch chunks and put back in the baggie with soy sauce.

After you cut the filets into chunks, heat your oil and prepare your batter.

Oil should be heated to approximately 365 degrees. There is not much science to this. Heat the oil over medium high heat for about 10-15 minutes and then drop some batter in to see if it’s hot enough to fry.

Batter:
    (this recipe coats approximately 2 pounds of meat)
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 ½ teaspoons salt (or in our case, sprinkle in some more Ragin Blaze)

Mix dry ingredients first, then add wet ingredients and mix well. Drain filet chunks of all liquid and put chunks into batter bowl and stir up to coat chunks in batter.

Use tongs or a fork to put each filet chunk into batter one by one. Fry until golden brown. They usually fry in under 10 minutes. Serve up with tartar sauce and enjoy!

Looks and sounds great!

Comment

Sounds really good.

Comment

When you say bleed out, how are you doing it

Comment

Cool!!

Comment

NVM. I thought this about something else.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
              When you say bleed out, how are you doing it
              We gutted directly after reeling in and let sit in the water for a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLizaMarie View Post
                We gutted directly after reeling in and let sit in the water for a few minutes.
                I love me some shark but I have never had a good experience if I open the belly cavity. I usually filet from the top and skirt around the cavity. Anyone else do this? It's a pain but man I can't stand the smell of a shark's belly.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post

I love me some shark but I have never had a good experience if I open the belly cavity. I usually filet from the top and skirt around the cavity. Anyone else do this? It's a pain but man I can't stand the smell of a shark's belly.

We had someone tell us they preferred to freeze the shark whole. Then when ready to eat steak it up with the skin on and grill. Apparently when frozen the guts come out very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your BFs last name wouldn't happen to be Nuernberg would it?

Comment

best way to bleed them out is cut the tail fin off right at the base. Their main artery will squirt that blood out a few feet. Get the guts and the blood out fast that is the most important thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X