Fire Pit Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Pit Ideas

So I am getting a BBQ pit built out of a 250 gallon propane tank at our local high school weld shop and am planning to make a fire pit out of the end of the tank I cut off. Anyone have any ideas or pictures on the best fire pit? I want to make a grill grate on top that I can rotate above the fire for cooking. Should I put some sort of vent in the bottom for airflow? If so, what is the best way to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A vent/baffle sounds like a good idea but it’s probably not necessary as the pit will be open. Our fire pit does not have one and have never had a lack of oxygen to the fire. It would be nice to have a baffle on the bottom sort of like the Webber grills to get the ashes out though!

Comment

I have a large cap fire pit as well. Have them cut 3 holes in the bottom for clean out and some flow. You don't really need the air flow but you do need a way to let it drain. My holes are about 2" diameter, been working fine since 1995.

Comment

Holes are needed more so to drain the rain water unless you are going to store inside or have a dedicated lid. make several smaller ones so as not to allow embers to fall through and catch something on fire!

Comment

We have a chiminea on the back porch. While I like it, heat only comes out from the front. I prefer that people are able to gather around the pit.

Comment

This is the one I built in high school, I ran out of time and never was able to rig the grill like I wanted to do I will be altering a few things to include an ask clean outClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	24518632Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24518633Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2453.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	24518634Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2455.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24518635

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

^^^ very cool, and a ton of surface area to cook!

Comment

1/2" holes aren't big enough. I need to make some bigger holes, because mine has water in it all the time. I'll try 1" next. I have five 1/2" holes now.

Comment

I have made them with several 2x3 holes in the bottom for clean outs and drains. I hand draw and cut out things to make them ornamental as well as grills.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                    I have made them with several 2x3 holes in the bottom for clean outs and drains. I hand draw and cut out things to make them ornamental as well as grills.

Where are you located?

Comment

Very Nice Sendit!!!

Comment

those are nice!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X