No announcement yet.

How do you aim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, I tend to use my riser more than my arrow when I reference my sight picture.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
      That is pretty bad Todd because I remember Kate Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
        I look straight down the arrow at the target as I draw, by the time I hit anchor 100% of my focus in on the center of the target. I think this has helped me develope a more consistent/repeatable shot cycle. I dont even realize I'm doing it anymore. BUT, I'd have a hard time hitting Kate Smith in the butt with a hand full of rice, so, dont listen to me!
        Sounds like the way I shoot.

Comment

I use the point of the arrow and gap shoot

Comment

I use the split vision gap method, basically aim with the tip of the arrow with the target In sight, overtime it becomes subconsciously instinctive, at first it's just trial and error, accuracy and consistency increased greatly when I started to aim with a certain method instead of hoping and praying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I close both eyes and use the force.

Comment

Out to 20-25 yds, pretty much like you, I used look at the arrow in my peripheral to line up my left and right, then concentrate the smallest part of the spot I intend to hit. Once I hit my point on, about 35 yds, then I almost Gap shoot with more concentration on the arrow point than target, If I'm fairly sure of the yardage. Works pretty good as long as my release is right. No guarantees on that!

LD

Comment

Pre-shot visualization is key for me. I take a deep hook then put just enough pressure on the string to start to feel back tension. At that point I "go to the movies" (as Jack Nicklaus used to call his pre-shot routine), seeing in my mind's eye what the perfect shot will look like - the arrow flying on the proper trajectory and dropping right into my spot. I immediately draw and shoot with that visual fresh on my mind. There are days when the computer between my ears is working well and it's like magic. Other days I struggle to visualize the shot. That is why some prefer gap shooting - it's more repeatable and you don't have to rely as much on that "instinctive" part of your brain working from one day to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Sometimes I feel that is the best way. But I actually just try and focus on a spot and let it rip. I guess that is why I am not that consistent with my accuracy. Don't know if you could ever get to the point where you are 100% confident.

Comment

I was struggling until I used I used the tp guru; jk!

Comment

Honestly I have times when I get off track and I try to figure out just where I'm pointing and my hand and . . . That usually just sends me down a spiral of inaccurate and discouraging shooting. If I focus on poa and follow through I do much better.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been in and out of each boat mentioned here. Purely instinctive, gap, split, force, downward-spiral-of-gut-churning-doom, etc... What works best for me is focus on the spot I want to hit, run through my shot sequence until I'm at 100% anchor and then "aim" down the arrow towards my POA. I even squint my left eye a bit before I release to make sure I'm in-line with where I want to hit. I don't know if it's actually gap shooting or instinctive or some butchered version in the middle. It really shouldn't work but it does.

I'm sure there's some kind of paradoxical phenomenon or something that would explain this but darned if I know what it is.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            +1...do or do not...there is no try

Comment

I use the LETTER method of aiming.....yank it back and letter fly...
                              I shoot like most everyone else here, pick a spot, draw until middle finger touches corner of my mouth, then release, accuracy is pretty good out to 25 yds, farther than 25yds I just pick a spot a bit higher up.

Comment

I'm another hard focus shooter. I can stack them like I'm shooting a decorated compound at 20 yards when I'm in the zone mentally.
                                If i break my intense focus on the dead center of what I want to hit - I miss my mark by a few inches.
                                Sometimes I feel as if I can feel the good shot before I loose the arrow based upon physical cues in my form. When I get that feeling and focus on my spot even post release, I'm scary accurate. The trouble I have is that i come unglued on game and lose mu focus. I can smoke my 3d hog and deer from random distances 5 to 25 yards with rarely a bad hit. But in the field I get so excited on real game that I shank the shots!

Comment

Working...
                                X