No announcement yet.

Deer feeder pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of mine. The footballs come and go but I've never seen a half grown or bigger in there. I used full legth posts for two in Trinity Co., but I will cut them off even with the panels this spring.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
      Do any of you cut down some of the hog panels so the fawns don't have trouble jumping them or are they able to get into the pens without problem?
      Yes I have several that we cut out. I cut three whole squares wide just at the top and fold over as to not have any sharp edges on the bottom. This has also become a funnel for where the deer jump in. I run cameras in all pens all year around and have yet to have a hog in one. I did them almost two years ago.

Comment

I have built them out of hog panels and t post. I also have one that is 40 yd diameter circle of old heavy duty goat wire and cedar post. Bot keep hogs and livestock out.

Comment

I prefer cattle panels cut down a level from the top. cheaper and taller. We have some overachieving cows that have jumped hog panels plus we have a few goats... Our deer jump them just fine cut or not.. I have been known to cut down an even lower jump area in strategically areas that provide a perfect broadside landing spot and the deer funnel to them. Cows don't pay any attention to the lower jump spots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slacker Blind2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	24530386

Name:	Slacker Blind3 (Medium).JPG
Views:	7
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	24530387

you can see the lower jump spot in this pic....if you zoom

Name:	PICT2139.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24530388

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I prefer cattle panels cut down a level from the top. cheaper and taller. We have some overachieving cows that have jumped hog panels plus we have a few goats... Our deer jump them just fine cut or not.. I have been known to cut down an even lower jump area in strategically areas that provide a perfect broadside landing spot and the deer funnel to them. Cows don't pay any attention to the lower jump spots.

[ATTACH]896469[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]896470[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]896471[/ATTACH]
            All I see is a long eye guard wide buck! Nice Setup!

Comment

A follow up to my previous post on this thread....

Here's one of the pens and set-ups we just built. We don't have cattle so we use hog panels to keep the sheep out.

Name:	20180210_154023_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24530430

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                All I see is a long eye guard wide buck! Nice Setup!

Hahaha ...he dead...and thanks.......

Comment

Name:	PICT2139.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24530388[/QUOTE]

I can only see one thing in that photo. I would shoot that deer!

Comment

Drive a t-post where you want the center of the pen to be, and tie a 30' rope to it. You have effectively created a giant compass. Drive a post every 8', and tie your panels to the posts and each other. “

I simply lay the panels down flat, overlap and twist the tie wires together.
                    Than I stand up the fence and drag the pieces together in a sorta of a circle. Then put two posts per panel wherever.

No gates ‘cause I’m too tight. Plus I have barbwire around the top.

BP

Comment

Working...
                    X