Flickr dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
    Shane where did you find how to do that. I want to have all the bird photography under one heading but couldn't figure out how to do that. I would like to learn the different tricks. Any good source to learn that you know of?
    On your home page, click on "Customize", then "Content and Design". Then on the content tab I set it to show Galleries. On the edit screen, when you hover over the Galleries heading, a toolbar pops up. Click the wrench, and then select the galleries you want to show.

Comment

Got it, thank you Shane.

Comment

Agreed Chad. I just moved most of what I wanted to different galleries in Smugmug from Flickr.

David not much to it really. Seemed cumbersome to me when I used it before but not so much now. I feel I'll have more control there also.

https://billmorris.smugmug.com/
        I finally just decided to go for it this morning. I'm at the office (not at Lightroom) but transferred enough photos over from Flickr to at least get the process started. Baby steps!

Comment

Why smugmug? Just curious as I'm still searching for the right long term photo storage and sharing solution. Changing terms of service and the thought of moving yet again drive me nuts!

Comment

Personally I just wanted to give smugmug another try and have the ability to make parts of my photos private. I didn't think someone could download the photos but apparently that isn't the case.

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
            I finally just decided to go for it this morning. I'm at the office (not at Lightroom) but transferred enough photos over from Flickr to at least get the process started. Baby steps!

https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/
            Looks good David. I haven't spent enough time setting up and exploring what I want to do yet but will get to it. I may go with the next one up at some point to attempt a sale or three.

Comment

Maybe the purchase option is just for you - then Flickr makes a little more money. Also, I'd think once they have your photos they always have them. I love the photos you post up.

Comment

Looks good David. I haven't spent enough time setting up and exploring what I want to do yet but will get to it. I may go with the next one up at some point to attempt a sale or three.
                Thanks! I'm moving slowly into this because I haven't really figured things out yet. Mindy bought the subscription for selling. I think I'll probably go that way too, but I've got about 9 or 10 more days of the free trial to decide.

I also haven't decided whether I want to dump Flickr completely or use it for family and friends, birthday parties, Christmas, etc photos and reserve SmugMug as more of a photography portfolio sort of thing with only my best photos that are of a broader public interest. Then again, with Facebook, I'm not sure I need Flickr at all. The thing is I have over 13,000 photos on Flickr and they were mostly shot in JPG without the use of Lr. Maybe I should just keep the basic version for archival purposes. See? Lots of things I just need to get figured out!

Comment

Originally posted by grunranch View Post
                  Why smugmug? Just curious as I'm still searching for the right long term photo storage and sharing solution. Changing terms of service and the thought of moving yet again drive me nuts!
                  Just a personal preference. My perception is that SmugMug has more options for how your page is set up for viewing, purchase options, etc. But that may not be accurate. My personal frustration with Flickr is that I've been with it for a long time and it seemed like they made it less user friendly, not more. As you mentioned, once you go a particular direction, it's a hard decision to change. But when I came to the idea of wanting a website photography portfolio of sorts, it seemed about as easy to go a whole new direction as to retro my old Flickr into something new.

For comparison, here's my Flickr... https://www.flickr.com/photos/snakelover/

And here's my SmugMug... https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/
                  Last edited by Snakelover; 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Anyone know how to post pictures from SmugMug on TBH?

Figured since this thread is about SmugMug, it would be a good place to ask.

Comment

I can't get SmugMug here at work, but there is a share icon under the photo that you have selected. It looks like 3 boxes of different sizes. Click that, select the size you want, then copy the link. Come back to TBH, click on the icon for IMG, paste link in the box, and submit.

Comment

David you do have to use the photo url icon as Shane said. I'm curious how they post here since I haven't. On a photo forum I frequent they show in odd sizes from SM.

Comment

I use the large size to post on TBH. All you need is an "[img]" before the photo link, and an "[/img]" after the link.

If I'm posting from my phone, I just download the photo from my SmugMug app onto my phone, and then I use the Tapatalk photo upload link to post on TBH.

Comment

David, I gave you wrong info. The icon with the 3 boxes is for different sizes of the pic. To get a link to share on TBH, click the share icon. It is a box with an arrow coming out of it (to share). When you click that icon, a box pops up. There you can select the size that you want to share, and then you'll get a link to copy. You can choose the "Photo Only" link and come back to TBH and post that in the Insert Image dialogue. OR, you can choose the BBCode link and just paste that in your reply box here on TBH, like this.....

That gives you a clickable picture in your TBH post. When you click on it, it takes you to your photo on your SmugMug page.

Comment

I didn't think that worked (BB code) Shane, thanks for making me try again.

Comment

I can't get SmugMug to show me the sharing options. I see the menus. But the Choose Size, Photo Only, HTML and BBCODE links don't do anything or show anything. In my Gallery Settings>Social, the "Show Sharing Options" is turned ON. I'm really puzzled why these options aren't available to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X