Cmon Academy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myway View Post
    I am certain they did and that is part of the problem. He stopped him without even knowing what was going on. You have been into Academy do you think they want the employees determining who should be stopped? I am not saying it’s right but I definetly understand there logic. I am sure as mentioned it’s a zero tolerance policy and the last thing they want is to set that presidence for other employees.
    So letting folks leave the store with a .40 and ammo for it is a good idea? I’m sure someone stealing pistols and ammo intends well when they leave the store.

Does the policy change if this guy leaves the store goes across the street and shoots up a school?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      Imagine this - Academy has no official policy about not attempting to detain shoplifters. An employee gets shot while trying to stop said shoplifter. Family of shot employee sues Academy for a zillion and wins. In the world of retail loss prevention, losing a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise is the lower risk option
      But put the shoe on the other foot. Employee sees thief steel gun and ammo and does nothing and said thief loads gun and shoot customer in store. Who is liable? Store or employee that did nothing? I think it is BS that he got fired.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        So letting folks leave the store with a .40 and ammo for it is a good idea? I’m sure someone stealing pistols and ammo intends well when they leave the store.

Does the policy change if this guy leaves the store goes across the street and shoots up a school?
        I don’t believe I said that. From what I gathered from the article he didn’t know why he was stopping him other than someone yelled stop him. Well that and he is selling his house. It’s obvious the guy was up to no good and obviously stopped a weapon from going on the street obviously a good thing.
        In regards to you’re second statement I think speculation is was they are trying to prevent.
        I totally get you’re point I am just looking at from both sides. I agree there should have been a “warning” and swept under the rug.

Comment

The article states he stole two handguns from a Cash America Pawn (45 and 380), then 4 hours later attempted to steal a 40 cal and ammunition from Academy but was foiled (I don't have a Thor Thunder mustache heheheh).

When they searched his vehicle they found the 45 caliber that was stolen but not the 380. That likely means there is someone who is in possession of a stolen 380 that knows it's stolen. In whom's hands was that 40 cal going to end up?

This guy should be treated like a hero, instead he's being railroaded because of our litigious society.

Comment

Originally posted by cfortner View Post
            This guy should be treated like a hero, instead he's being railroaded because of our litigious society.
            I believe this sums everything up quite nicely

Comment

Originally posted by cj_sandman View Post
              I believe this sums everything up quite nicely

When I lived in North Carolina Dicks was the nearest place for me to shop. I got to know the lodge manager very well and he seemed like a guy who had made some money in another career but got burnt out and went to work at a sporting goods store. I went in and asked for him by name one day and they said he was fired for stopping a guy in the parking lot who had stolen a ladies purse. I ran into him later and he said he went back to doing what he did before making 4 times as much and didn’t have the headache[emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The fact that a gun was being stolen definitely muddies the water on employees not stopping thieves. Although, it actually reinforces reasoning to not intervene as an unarmed, untrained retail employee.

General point of the policy in most retail stores is to not put employees' lives at risk over merchandise. Who knows what will happen in a confrontation with a criminal, who may be armed, mentally imbalanced and/or chemically addled? Furthermore, pursuing such an individual may cause collateral harm to innocents from a panicked get-away. Typically, certain trained individuals such as "loss prevention" personnel, and possibly some members management may be trained and allowed to interact directly with suspected shoplifters.

Betting -- and hoping -- that the particular manager in this case will find employment soon.

Comment

Academy should arm their managers. That way they wouldn’t have to touch the thief. Either surrender or get shot.

Comment

This ain't the typical shoplifter taking some clothes. Those deserve a good beating just like the lawyers who defend them. This one trying to steal a gun is a much bigger issue. With all the anti gun rhetoric, Academy policy is to just let some thug walk out with one? Sickening.
                    Last edited by jdg13; 07-12-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Not following company policy = not being employed.

Comment

IMHO, having a policy that allows a thief to waltz out your door with a stolen firearm should jeopardize your FFL. I'm not saying that theft should cause you to lose your FFL, but having a policy that does nothing to impede that theft should.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Academy should arm their managers. That way they wouldn’t have to touch the thief. Either surrender or get shot.
                          Have you seen some of these Academy "managers" and threads about them? LOL

I don't care if he was stealing a gun or pack of bubble gum. Simply stupid when stores can't stop shoplifters.

Comment

What if it wasn’t the policy and the policy was now shoot, detain, stop, or whatever means necessary? I can’t imagine that being a good policy either. An employer is responsible for eliminating and/or reducing risk. If things would of went south and gun fire broke out, then that’s really bad. Now headlines read, “4 year old girls caught in crossfire but Academy employee”. No way an employer of this size can condone this action. Right or wrong, they are in a tough place. Can you imagine a civil lawsuit of a dead child? Just my opinion. For the record I would of been fine if the prep received 4 in the back of the head.

Comment

Yup. I worked for academy for a semester in college. Just about every retailer has the same rule. Once, we were informed of suspicious activity by an employee. Cant remember the job title. Basically a loss prevention guy disguised as a shopper. Watched him walk to his car and immediately called the police. He was arrested a couple miles from the store.

Still... That's pretty sorry. No doubt the dude was doing what he thought was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                                What if it wasn’t the policy and the policy was now shoot, detain, stop, or whatever means necessary? I can’t imagine that being a good policy either. An employer is responsible for eliminating and/or reducing risk. If things would of went south and gun fire broke out, then that’s really bad. Now headlines read, “4 year old girls caught in crossfire but Academy employee”. No way an employer of this size can condone this action. Right or wrong, they are in a tough place. Can you imagine a civil lawsuit of a dead child? Just my opinion. For the record I would of been fine if the prep received 4 in the back of the head.
                                Wonder what the lawsuit would be if the thief free wheeled out of the store with gun and ammo and shot up the next store down?

Comment

Working...
                                X