Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Toyota with more than 200k miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Toyota with more than 200k miles?

I'm looking at getting a used 4runner or tacoma soon, and I was wondering what cautions or concerns people would have about buying one with more than 200k miles if they pass a mechanic's inspection?

got 230000 miles on my 99 Tacoma and still running strong with no problems

Comment

Several ad's I came across mentioned the timing belt had been replaced.
      Indicating to me that a timing belt issue exist. Before buying you might Google this issue to see if it is a big deal.

Comment

T belt is a wear item. Not an ‘issue’ generally speaking. It should be on its second at least. But yes you should check if it’s been done and when. 10yr 100k is a decent rule of thumb.

If these trucks have some specific issue with it disregard.

Comment

Have a corolla with over 250k on it and a ranch vehicle, A Forerunner with over 375,000 miles on it. Stay on the oil and the timing belt you should be fine.

Comment

Timing chains / belts and gears set up should be done every 100-150k it is a wear item however they will cause issues if not addressed!!!

Ron

Comment

Bought an 03 Tacoma with 200,000 and now I have 286,000 and with a few minor things it's still running strong. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again

Comment

It's a major plus if someone has already replaced the timing belt andif the head gasket blows don't push it.

Comment

With any vehicle with 200,000 miles, expect wear on the front end and parts to start going out.

Comment

I bought a 4Runner with 220k and it's running strong, no issues at all. I wouldn't hesitate especially if the timing belt has been replaced

Comment

At 150.000 their whole front end needs replacing. Everything.
                      On our 3rd front suspension on the Tundra....

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
                        It's a major plus if someone has already replaced the timing belt andif the head gasket blows don't push it.
                        If they use inferior part you might be driving off with a false since of security. I changed on once with a aftermarket timing chain and tensioner and it lasted about 8000 miles. I'd rather just just do it myself and know its done right.

Comment

All I can attest to his my 2004 Toyota Tacoma 367,000 and all I have had to do is general maintenance... I baby her and do all the required TLC on time and when needed. I have been very blessed. bought from a TBH'er here with 30,000 miles.

Comment

270K here on a sequoia, never had anything but general/scheduled maintenance. Wouldn't think twice to drive it cross country.

Comment

08 Tacoma with 240000 miles and only minor maintenance. If the owner has taken care of it I would not hesitate on the purchase..

Comment

Working...
                              X