X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age this buck

[ATTACH]876476[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]876477[/ATTACH]

I believe this deer is only 4.5 and elected to let him have a pass. A couple other people believe he is really old. Let's see what y'all have to say on age and score. My approach to management this year is focusing on age more than ever.

[ATTACH]876479[/ATTACH]

Comment

Looks much younger to me

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
        Looks much younger to me

Do you think he could be 3.5? I'm thinking the other deer in the pic is a 2.5yr old

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
          Do you think he could be 3.5? I'm thinking the other deer in the pic is a 2.5yr old
          You know... I looked again at first glance I thought 3. But looking again the face looks graying like some really old deer I've taken and teeth worn out.

Comment

The pics are sideways and rough to age, but I would say older than 4.5

Comment

I would bet money that deer is not a day under 4.5 and probably older. Hard to tell for sure but I would say "mature".

Comment

I would say 4 or 5 from those pics.

Comment

At least 5.5

Comment

I’m thinking could be a 5.5 yr old. Can’t see him going below 4.5.

Comment

I think at least 4.5

Comment

Agreed with the guys above. That deer has a really big body. I'm going with 5.5.

Comment

So in your opinion, would that be a good buck to fling an arrow at and burn a tag for managements sake? We have a large ratio of bucks to does. It is literally probably 2:1 if not greater. Most of our young bucks seem to have the best start and head gear in years. We've been feeding protein most of the time except we have let them run empty during the season in years past. We've been on the place going on our seventh year and have taken some really nice deer but I want to break the 150s on our target bucks and that that is achievable over the next two years.

Comment

Comment

4-5
                              I wouldn't kill him for management reasons. It won't have much affect on your herd. But I would kill him because he's a nice middle aged buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X