Protein feeding tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeding tips

I'm on New deer lease. This is the first year protein will be fed. The Land owner has requested we do this.
    It's a little over 3000 acres near Roosevelt (west of Junction ) and has a good population of whitetail and what seems to be a rather large population of axis.

1. With 2 protein feeders on the place how much should we expect to go through?

2. With the axis deer around will the whitetail get any of it?

3. What are your thoughts of 50/50 protein/corn mix in the feeders.

4. Should we stop filling them when season starts?

Wish your question was on the Around the Campfire forum and you would already have 20 posts. So, that being said, I’ll give you my humble opinion. I don’t think 2 protein feeders on 3,000 acres will do anything for your deer. If you wanted to fill them during hunting season and hunt over them as an attractant, then it might be worth the money. You have so many deer and Axis, along with 3,000 acres for them to travel back and forth, I just don’t think protein will grow you bigger , better deer. Too many acres and not enough feeders. Heck, I run 2 thousand pound protein feeders on 120 acres. Wish the experts would see this and give you their opinions. I just don’t think you would see any positive results.

Comment

MQ32SHOOTER is kinda correct in my opinion. On 3000 acres you prob really need more than 2 protein feeders to make a noticeable difference. With that being said, any protein is helpful. If you can give the deer in a certain area of the 3000 acres regular protein it is not going hurt anything at all. The amount of protein depends on how fast the deer go through it. May-Sept i usually have to fill my 200lb protein feeder weekly. Once Oct hits i see the consumption slow down. Whitetail will eat with axis deer. So both will get the protein and you might even see both species eating the protein at the same time. 50/50 mix is your choice really. We have corn feeders go year round so we do not get the 50/50 mix. When season comes around we keep protein going. The deer that get beat down from rut will want the protein to help them recover. Suggestion, make sure you have water near the protein feeders!!!

Comment

I can imagine you will have a hard time keeping your feeders full this summer.
        We only have 2 protein feeders on 1200 acres. It definitely attracts deer, and every little bit helps.
        Anxious to see the estimates from experts. With complete free feeding, I would expect easily 2,000 lbs a month and more during bad times. It will take a while to train them, but then look out.
        We went to timed protein feeders to keep a little in each feeder consistently.

Please update us when you get the feeders out

Comment

If theres a large populationg of axis they can take over the protein feeders and run the WT off. Not sure if they will there or not but the tend to be a little more dominant than the WT. 2 feeders on that much land isn't enough imo. Consumption wise just depends on population numbers on the property but we go through 2 tons a month on 500 acres. I wouldn't mix corn and protein kinda defeats the purpose imo. If I wanted to have some corn slinging I would just put a corn feeder around the protein feeders.

Comment

Not an expert, but in that area with axis present 1 ton feeder per 500 acre would be what I would expect. And expect to be empty every 6-8 weeks. Just my prediction, I’m sure there are others with better numbers

Comment

truth of the matter is that 2 protein feeders on that many acres (even without Axis) is truly a waste of your money IMO - You need a minimum of 10 protein stations but with Axis 15 would be even better. Axis are cool but they will dominate your whitetail and out breed them.

Protein feeding is not a cheap option - either go all in or do not waste your time - good luck

Comment

If the landowner insists, then I would put both of them up at your best stand location. It will attract and hold bucks in the area until rut. Some bucks will leave, but most will return after the rut. You will get a few regular bucks each year that eat almost everyday. These bucks will benefit the most. 2,000lbs per month per feeder is very much possible. Build hog panel pens or pigs will eat their share also. You might need another pen/fence 20ft around the outside of the hog panel pen, if you have livestock. Try to use a coonproof (as coonproof as possible) feeder, if you can afford it. There are several options out there. Water near your feeder will increase consumption. If you’re into that. Not sure what you can do about the axis, besides kill as many as you can. Adding corn will cut costs some. But you will definitely be depriving the deer. I like to feed year round and feed as much as I can afford, but I’m doing it because I want to. I would prolly cut it off, if I was only trying to meet a landowner requirement.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I don't even want to feed protein, because I agree the two feeders won't benefit the deer on the property. I am just happy to have a place to hunt and we are just doing what th ne land owner has asked.

Comment

Axis will normally be protein pigs. If you have a lot of animals get your wallets ready. When it gets dry I go through 1000 lbs every three weeks. That's on 230 ac in San Saba.
                    I was on a lease in Junction and I guy put up a free choice protein feeder one year. It was a 350 lb capacity & the deer would empty it in a week.

Comment

Put a hammer timed unit on it. Since you seriously won’t benefit the entire herd, you can appease the landowner and your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                        Put a hammer timed unit on it. Since you seriously won’t benefit the entire herd, you can appease the landowner and your wallet.

Good advice

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                          I run the krivoman protein feeders with these timers. You can set them to be open all the time or however long you want. I have mine open from daylight to dark. This keeps the coons etc from eating your feed. The deer come and go all day eating the feed. Right now with everything green they have backed off the protein some. When it dries up again they will hit it hard. That is when I use over 1000 lbs every 3 weeks. I would hate to see how much I would use leaving them open 24 hrs a day. I use the protein as an attractant and Im sure I have a few it is really helping as much time as they spend at the feeder. I can say it has helped bring more deer on our place since we started feeding. Luckily I have big neighbors on all sides and they are good about letting the bucks age. I do feed protein and corn year round.

Comment

My hammertime eats through batteries. How often do you replace batteries? I even put on a small solar panel. Last a couple weeks then done. Have it set to open during day and close at night. I quit using it after 3rd battery since they cost so much

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                              My hammertime eats through batteries. How often do you replace batteries? I even put on a small solar panel. Last a couple weeks then done. Have it set to open during day and close at night. I quit using it after 3rd battery since they cost so much
                              I have had no issues with batteries. I have a solar panel on each one. One feeder is going on 4 yrs old. I had one that the timer started having problems. I called about it and they sent me a new one, even though it was out of warranty. They have Great customer service. Call them up and talk to them about the timer.

Comment

Working...
                              X