Best deals on .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger American in digital camo for $289:
    Ruger: American Rifle 308 with Navy Digital Camo Stock for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

TC Compass with Weaver scope for $319:
    Thompson Center: Compass 308 Win Bolt-Action Rifle with Weaver 3-9x40mm Riflescope and Hard Case for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

TC Compass for $299:
    Thompson Center: Compass 308 Win Bolt-Action Rifle for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

I bought my wife a TC Compass in 308 from there bundled with a Vortex Diamondback for about the same price. I pulled the junk mounts off and installed the included scope with a one piece mount and that gun shoots great. It's a shorter gun/barrel than most of our other rifles, we shoot the Fusion MSR out of it as it's designed for shorter barrels. It's a nice rifle, we're happy with it. My son shot a doe at 269 yards on a youth hunt with it at Matagorda Island this last year.
    Last edited by justletmein; 05-03-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I’ve considered .308, .243, and 22-250... he’s 7 so was wanting a caliber he could carry for several years so why i was leaning more towards the .308.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        I’ve considered .308, .243, and 22-250... he’s 7 so was wanting a caliber he could carry for several years so why i was leaning more towards the .308.
        I looked at many of the same calibers with the addition of a 7-08, which is what I ended up buying for my son... started him out using reduced recoil rounds which were fine for him when he was 8.

I don't rifle hunt very much, but when I do, I grab his 7-08... it's a sweet gun for anything in Texas.... When it comes right down to it, it's not a lot different than the .308

Comment

This is not much help to the OP but it is interesting how we think about our hunting rifles. My Dad started me off with a 222 Rem Mag; he taught us to shoot them in the neck. Everything dropped in its tracks as far as I can recall. Then I got a 250-3000, worked great; then a 270; then a 7mm Wby Mag; then a 308 and now a 243. I have run the spectrum and am happy with my 243 for deer and hogs. Not sure why I kept changing. I know as a kid growing up I read the cartridge performance specs and wanted bigger, faster, flatter shooting rifles. Although my hunting shots were always less than 200 yards and everything died no matter the caliber.

When I started my girls out hunting around age 8 or 9, I put them behind my 308 thinking it would give them some leeway if they had a bad shot. We were at the range and about the fourth round my daughter looked up and had a tear running down her cheek. I felt like a heel. We all shoot 243's now. Very accurate, not punishing to shoot and lethal.

Comment

308 is the perfect utility cartridge. It doesn’t necessarily excel at much but it is extremely versatile.

Find you one with a twist rate of 1:8 to 1:10 and you won’t find a more versatile rifle.

Relatively light recoil and muzzle report and bullet choices from 110 grains to 240 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you can locate or order one of these you will have one fine rifle.

Plus, the size will fit a youth or lady just fine.

Blue steel and American walnut chambered for .223 Rem, .243 Win. (tested), .308 Win., .44 Rem. Mag., .45-70 Gov’t.

And, it’s not ugly plastic.
              Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-03-2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I don't think I would have a 7 or 8 year old shooting a 308 or 270 as their first rifle. I would get something with less recoil to start them out as stated above! Kids that old don't weigh very much and are very bony. Unlike fat old men!

Comment

The OP didn't mention until later in the thread that his son is 7 yrs. old, and I was assuming an older kid. Unless your son is a pretty beefy kid, I would stay away from the .270, .308 and 30.06 calibers. The .243 may even be a bit much, plus they can be loud. I've killed whitetail deer with a 5.56mm AR-type rifle without any problems (1-shot, DRT kills). If an AR type rifle fits him, and you use the proper ammo (the 64 gr. JSP works well for me), and with good shot placement, he should be fine with that. Down stream, once he gets older and physically bigger, you can get him an upper in a larger caliber like 6.8SPC-II, .300, etc.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

7mm-08 or 6.5cm would work great. Light loads now and standard loads later.

Then he could get a hammer for really big stuff when he's grown.

Comment

My 8yo has no problem with the .308 in a Ruger American Compact.....and its a freaking nail driver!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	carson buk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24579316

Click image for larger version

Name:	carson doh!.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	24579317

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                        The OP didn't mention until later in the thread that his son is 7 yrs. old, and I was assuming an older kid. Unless your son is a pretty beefy kid, I would stay away from the .270, .308 and 30.06 calibers. The .243 may even be a bit much, plus they can be loud. I've killed whitetail deer with a 5.56mm AR-type rifle without any problems (1-shot, DRT kills). If an AR type rifle fits him, and you use the proper ammo (the 64 gr. JSP works well for me), and with good shot placement, he should be fine with that. Down stream, once he gets older and physically bigger, you can get him an upper in a larger caliber like 6.8SPC-II, .300, etc.

Good luck,

Dave
                        Yeah 308 is pretty big for a 7 year old. The TC Compass is a small light rifle and with reduced recoil loads might work but kids love AR's and adjustable stocks work great as they grow. Our Bison 6.8 is a tack driver and hardly kicks at all.

Comment

gun

buy him a Thompass compass 6.5 creedmoor. They will shoot a quarter size group at 100 Yards and less recoil and super super accurate. Can buy them for $179 bucks after rebate. They have a trigger kit for like 25 bucks you can buy and it makes the trigger sooooo much better!!

just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                            buy him a Thompass compass 6.5 creedmoor. They will shoot a quarter size group at 100 Yards and less recoil and super super accurate. Can buy them for $179 bucks after rebate. They have a trigger kit for like 25 bucks you can buy and it makes the trigger sooooo much better!!

just my 2 cents
                            Link?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Yeah 308 is pretty big for a 7 year old. The TC Compass is a small light rifle and with reduced recoil loads might work but kids love AR's and adjustable stocks work great as they grow. Our Bison 6.8 is a tack driver and hardly kicks at all.
                              I am very fond of the 6.8 SPC-II caliber - mine is a PSA. I thought long and hard about the 6.5 vs. the 6.8, and decided if I was going to make shots (routinely) out to 200-300 yards, I'd probably stay with my .308. However, the 6.8 is a fine caliber and the rifle fits me well.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Link?
                                Don't do it man! You'll be shaving your legs, wearing Crocks and visors while sportin' a manbun!

Comment

Working...
                                X