• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a drone bad

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Nothing said about blasting out of the sky.
      Yep, that's already well established law. It's illegal. You can be arrested, jailed, and sued in civil court.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        I want a drone bad

Build your own! I have 8 or 10!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
          Build your own! I have 8 or 10!!
          Wish I had the time and the knowhow, mostly the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
            Wish I had the time and the knowhow, mostly the time.

In that case start simple. DJI Phantom. Hands down most user friendly and easy to fly with gps, return home, failsafe, and lots of other features. Buddy just bought a Phantom 2 basic new for $500 ready to fly. If you can go more expensive I'd personally get the Phantom 3 Advanced. Better range and camera.

I have so many because I race, and I'm not very good at racing, so I crash alot. When I crash and break something I just grab another.

Comment

Is there anything prohibiting drones flying over restricted property?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                Model Aircraft: A model aircraft is a small sized unmanned aircraft or, in the case of a scale model, a replica of an existing or imaginary aircraft.

Drones are model aircraft. The FAA overstepped their bounds. Appeals court rightfully interpreted the law and came to the only possible conclusion on this. If the Congress, which makes the laws in this country, wants to create a law requiring registration, they can do that. Bureaucrats at the FAA should not.

This is a model airplane

This is a drone

They both fly in the air.
                You can't seriously tell me they're the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                  That part is addressed in the law and it is a crime. How does a registration fee/tax on them stops that?

That is like saying a tax on every container of drinking alcohol (which is the law) will stop DWI or registering firearms will stop crime.

It required a unique number on it with a way if I had a complaint, it may be traceable to the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                    Yep, that's already well established law. It's illegal. You can be arrested, jailed, and sued in civil court.
                    Prove it was my bullet.

Comment

I'm thinking of a product that looks like a fishing treble hook, weighs a couple ounces so you can cast it some distance and the hooks somehow collapse if it does not initially grab something.

Then you rig up 4 or 6 inexpensive fishing poles, and if a drone is over your property, there's no law against practicing casting on your own property. If you hook one, reel it in and fillet/pan fry in butter!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
                        Is there anything prohibiting drones flying over restricted property?
                        Are you already answering your question?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                          This is a model airplane

This is a drone

I can tell you that they are both "small unmanned aircraft," and if you disagree we don't speak the same language.

Comment

It required a unique number on it with a way if I had a complaint, it may be traceable to the owner.

So I assume you are for registering firearms. Lord knows we have way more gun crimes that was way more serious to the public instead of drones.

Yes, anything with a number is traceable if you can get your hands on it and it is registered. The problem is not what can be done but what Congress approved. The way I read the law, it clearly said that the FAA could pass no such rules for private use.

Comment

This is a model airplane

This is a drone

Who has ever said they are the same? I missed that post unless you are talking about the definition of model aircraft.

What gives the FAA more authority to regulate one over the other under the definition of private use? Is it the camera? Maybe Congress should regulate cell phone cameras and audio recorders.

The problem the court saw was not that something might not need regulating. It might. People are trying to make arguments over dangers and needed regulations. The only problem is that the FAA was never given that authority. To the contrary, I read the law Congress passed and it said that the FAA cannot regulate it.

I have the feeling that if this was anything other than drones and a federal agency tried to pass their own laws without congressional approval (like the EPA did trying to regulate firearm ammo), the same people complaining over this court ruling would be raising 9 kinds of heck saying government overreach.

Comment

Thank you!! The decisions should be based on the merits of the case & not the emotion of your opinion.

Change the freak'n laws, but don't blame the case for your disdain for or against.

I fear big brother is coming.

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                                Who has ever said they are the same? I missed that post unless you are talking about the definition of model aircraft.

What gives the FAA more authority to regulate one over the other under the definition of private use? Is it the camera? Maybe Congress should regulate cell phone cameras and audio recorders.

The problem the court saw was not that something might not need regulating. It might. People are trying to make arguments over dangers and needed regulations. The only problem is that the FAA was never given that authority. To the contrary, I read the law Congress passed and it said that the FAA cannot regulate it.

I have the feeling that if this was anything other than drones and a federal agency tried to pass their own laws without congressional approval (like the EPA did trying to regulate firearm ammo), the same people complaining over this court ruling would be raising 9 kinds of heck saying government overreach.

Comment

Working...
                                X