Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More CWD info

Originally posted by Buff View Post
    I have a question for you hill country folks.
    On the place I sold I was required to test 3 red deer or sika.
    Cost me $500.00

They told me any one who had any Elk, Red deer or Sika killed on their land had to test 3 or they would be fined.

How many hill country land owners even know about this new law?

Free range is the same as high fence

"They" told several folks that...unfortunately for the landowner/s, "they" didn't know or chose to ignore (not sure which) the law "they" were chartered to enforce & landowners didn't either. If i had been one of'm, i'd own a helluva lot more country than I currently do.

Even now, some landowners are still under that assumption...

now...knowing the confusion the "proposed" rules vs. the "final" rules adopted caused....wonder why TAHC hasn't socialized the final rules more? Things that make ya go hhhhmmmm....
    Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      Are you pointing the finger at TPWD for allowing this to happen?

Ultimately it was their decision, with the breeding industry fanning the flames with $100 bills.
      I'm saying everyone involved.. They all knew the risks and now we all do..
      Are deer still being transported??? Why??? If it's really as bad as they say and is spreading at such a rapid pace why would this still be allowed? It's interesting..

And yea concerning those $100 bills... When something doesn't make sense, always follow the money.. Same goes for Buff's situation above... That makes absolutely no sense!!!!! Ive never heard of that one.. Sounds like a back door animal tax to me..

Last edited by PondPopper; 02-13-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

More CWD info

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        Sounds like a back door animal tax to me..

Bingo! Why do you think the tahc proposed rules stated "must kill 3" & the final rules state "3 eligible mortalities"?

Think it may have something to do with exotics being classified by statute as "livestock" & therefore fall under the same USDA reimbursement rules as catte, sheep, horses?? Hmmmmmm....

So the state weaseled out of reimbursement liability...who ya think is gunna absorb the testing overheard, the state, landowner? Or will it perhaps be the consumer?

As far as rapid spread? How the hell would TPWD or TAHC know? They don't have a sample size great enough to make ANY determination
        Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I'm saying everyone involved.. They all knew the risks and now we all do..
          Are deer still being transported??? Why??? If it's really as bad as they say and is spreading at such a rapid pace why would this still be allowed? It's interesting..

And yea concerning those $100 bills... When something doesn't make sense, always follow the money.. Same goes for Buff's situation above... That makes absolutely no sense!!!!! Ive never heard of that one.. Sounds like a back door animal tax to me..

https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/privat...er.seam?cid=28
          Buff may have donated to the Nigerian Prince Relief Fund. Never heard of those folks.

Comment

More CWD info

Na...he just inadvertently/unknowing supported their agenda...not his his fault.

Barton @ TAHC "encouraged" me to do the same in 2016....i told'm it's hard enough to survive w/o introducing non value added overhead into the mix....go get bent
            Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

From their web site

The adopted surveillance rule requires a total of three eligible mortalities to be CWD tested
              and valid test results submitted to your local TAHC region office on or by April 1 of every
              year. Eligible mortalities include hunter harvested exotic CWD susceptible species or
              natural mortalities that occur on the premises. This requirement applies to all high and low
              fenced
              premises where exotic CWD susceptible species are located and is not dependent
              on movement.
              Mortality Record Keeping
              The adopted mortality record keeping rule states that the owner of a premises where an
              eligible mortality occurs must maintain a mortality record. The mortality record must be
              submitted to the TAHC central office on or by April 1 of every year.
              Last edited by Buff; 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Knowing that not only would I have to bare the expense of this every year going forward but also the knowledge that If they ever found a CWD animal on my place they would kill everything on my farm, is one of the main factors that made me decide to sell out.

Comment

From their web site

The adopted surveillance rule requires a total of three eligible mortalities to be CWD tested
                  and valid test results submitted to your local TAHC region office on or by April 1 of every
                  year. Eligible mortalities include hunter harvested exotic CWD susceptible species or
                  natural mortalities that occur on the premises. This requirement applies to all high and low
                  fenced
                  premises where exotic CWD susceptible species are located and is not dependent
                  on movement.
                  Mortality Record Keeping
                  The adopted mortality record keeping rule states that the owner of a premises where an
                  eligible mortality occurs must maintain a mortality record. The mortality record must be
                  submitted to the TAHC central office on or by April 1 of every year.

Wow.. Like I said in a previous post.. The average hunter, one who doesn't keep up with this ever changing "crisis", has no idea how complicated things are about to become..
                  I try to keep up and this is news to me.. I have a feeling it's news to a lot of folks. Even the folks who have these animals on their property..

Comment

Knowing that not only would I have to bare the expense of this every year going forward but also the knowledge that If they ever found a CWD animal on my place they would kill everything on my farm, is one of the main factors that made me decide to sell out.
                    Selling out was a great idea....

Comment

Selling out was a great idea....
                      some days I almost tear up missing it

Comment

More CWD info

Knowing that not only would I have to bare the expense of this every year going forward but also the knowledge that If they ever found a CWD animal on my place they would kill everything on my farm.

TAHC, to my knowledge, has never said either.

The rules/statute don't state specifically who covers the testing expense. I have been advised to submit an invoice to both them & the USDA for reimbursement.

As far as coming in & killing everything....that is still rumor/speculation at this point with folks assuming TAHC/TPWD will follow the same protocol for exotics as they do for whitetail.

Slight hitch in the giddy-up there:

1) exotics are livestock, whitetail are not.

2) Some exotics have proven incapable of contracting CWD (e.g. Axis, Fallow, et.al)

3) exotics are largely privately owned livestock & as such is USDA reimbursable, whitetail are not.

4) free ranging exotics both susceptible & non-susceptible species fall under who's purview?

So...as you can see, the rules/statue/s passed aren't exactly comprehensive are they?
                        Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

some days I almost tear up missing it
                          I bet so...

I have a feeling you won't be the the last one that is "regulated out" before this fiasco is over.. That's if it's ever really over..

Comment

So from what I've just been told this^^^^includes Sika deer too..

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRanč View Post
                              TAHC, to my knowledge, has never said either.

The rules/statute don't state specifically who covers the testing expense. I have been advised to submit an invoice to both them & the USDA for reimbursement.

As far as coming in & killing everything....that is still rumor/speculation at this point with folks assuming TAHC/TPWD will follow the same protocol for exotics as they do for whitetail.

Slight hitch in the giddy-up there:

1) exotics are livestock, whitetail are not.

2) Some exotics have proven incapable of contracting CWD (e.g. Axis, Fallow, et.al)

3) exotics are largely privately owned livestock & as such is USDA reimbursable, whitetail are not.

4) free ranging exotics both susceptible & non-susceptible species fall under who's purview?

So...as you can see, the rules/statue/s passed aren't exactly comprehensive are they?

I guess you worked with a better guy than I did.
                              He told me to pay for the Vet to pull the sample and send it in and told me If they found it I could expect they would kill everything they could to test them as well.

I asked what the fine would be If I refused to do the testing and he told me that he did not know as of yet.
                              Last edited by Buff; 02-13-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah, hear ya...field staff like to give their opinion which isn't necessarily the law.
                                I went directly to our TAHC director....even he stuttered when confronted with fact

Comment

Working...
                                X