No announcement yet.

I give up (pigs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got on a lease last year that was infested with pigs and we were not seeing many deer. We decide that we had to get rid of the pigs, but was not sure the best way. We did some research and decided to buy the Jager pro trap. Last year we caught over 250 pigs. This year we have at least 10 hog panels around every feed station and we are seeing very little pig signs. No feed = no pigs. Last year I never saw a fawn, this year we see them all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post

They are almost as thick at my other feeder too. One solitary deer on camera in 2 weeks.[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Dang brother if I ever get a full weekend off I'll help you out with that.
      Maybe next week end if we don't get rained out this coming week.
      I gotta get up there and get feeders and stands up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Last night I sat in my bow blind. I got out there way too early but it gave me time to do some walking around scouting. I also put my target under the feeder and took some shots from the blind so I'd have no question on what sight pin I needed. The hogs at that feeder had been showing between 5-6pm - I sat from 4 to 6:15 It was like Cool Hand Luke getting stuck in the hole. When your fingers sweat, you know its dang hot. (I did stay hydrated)
        There are two young long legged boars that busted me in that blind 2 weeks back and sure enough, those were what showed at 6:15. I was almost at full draw when they bolted. So I got a nice sauna therapy session last night but no kill.

To all the offers for help, I'd gladly take you up on the offer but if you are not on our lease already, no can do. Sorry.

Comment

Don't go walk around your feeder when you get there. Just go get in your blind. We never get near our feeders till after we hunt. If you get some scent around the feeder they either come up & smell it and run or never come in. We had a lease that we always shot pigs every trip, but some other guys would show up & feed or etc. Never saw pigs & complained they didn't have spots that pigs would come too. We told them to stay away from their feeders & they told us pigs aren't that smart. We just said OK & left them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            Don't go walk around your feeder when you get there. Just go get in your blind. We never get near our feeders till after we hunt. If you get some scent around the feeder they either come up & smell it and run or never come in. We had a lease that we always shot pigs every trip, but some other guys would show up & feed or etc. Never saw pigs & complained they didn't have spots that pigs would come too. We told them to stay away from their feeders & they told us pigs aren't that smart. We just said OK & left them alone.
            Yep, if you want to kill pigs with any consistency with a bow, you need to understand they are one of the smartest animals in the woods and have a incredible nose that puts a whitetails nose to shame. Because pigs don't see near as good as whitetails they use their nose as their #1 defense. While sometimes you can get away with walking through your feed area right before hunting, you will end up getting busted more time then not from it. I've had pigs bust my scent trail I walked in on several hours after I walked through.

Just looking at the picture of your setup, It looks like it's pretty boxed in with tree's and bushes and if it is, that is not good setup for pigs because the wind tends to swirl in area's like that and pigs will bust you most of the time, especially if they take their time coming in. When I setup a feeder to hunt pigs, I'm more concerned about how the wind will blow through the spot then the location because pigs will always find the corn and the more open the area is the less likely they will hit the feeder during daylight and the further you get from their bedding area the later they will come.

If you don't want the pigs at your feeder then put up a pen. Go with at least 10 hog panels and put T-Post at each end of the panels and one in the middle. T-Post go on the inside of the panels. Also make sure there are no big gaps between the ground and the panels they can get their nose under or you may have problems. Their are two reasons to make the pen big, one it keeps most or all the corn inside the pen and the deer are more comfortable in big pens. The more corn that is outside the pen the more pigs you will have come around to get that corn and the more pigs you have around the more likely you are to have them try to get in. If you make the pen big enough that no corn goes outside it then the chances of the pigs ever getting in are slim to none.

I had a 250 acre lease all to myself that the pigs were so smart that if I drove on the lease at all, the pigs would not hit any of my 5 feeders that day. I was the only one driving on the lease so they learned that if they heard a vehicle it meant I was hunting because I rarely ever went to the lease without hunting. If I filled a feeder at any time during the day it was pointless to hunt that feeder the same night because the pigs would not come in. I'm sure some people are going to read this and strongly disagree with some things I'm saying but that is OK with me because I know what works for me.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the area your hunting. It looks like your hunting East Texas. While I haven't hunted East Texas, that area is well known for deer avoiding feeders, especially mature deer. The area I hunt, mature will hit the feeders but they seldom do during the season. This is why I hunt trails and use hand corn but that is also a problem because we have so many pigs that the pigs end up taking the area over and basically run the deer off. Because of this I don't hand corn the area heavily and I don't do it on a real consistent basis. One thing I'm going to try this year is to put of a big pen back in the woods and only hand corn it. Don't know how well it's going to work but I have a feeling it will work great. The only real problem I see is if the pigs can't get to the hand corn the deer may come mainly at night but that shouldn't really be a problem at my place because our deer move a lot during the day. I'm sure I will have some at night but I believe the majority will hit the corn during the day.

One thing is for sure, if what your doing isn't working, you need to try something else because if you keep doing the same thing your more then likely going to have the same results. I'm always trying different things even after 30+ years of hunting.

Good luck hunting.

Comment

Put a corral trap around the feeders. Catch and and kill the pigs.

Comment

Texican,
                All those pens in goliad we built have never been breached.
                But the pig hunting ain't as good.
                Deer hunting has improved. TB has killed a couple real nice ones.
                Good luck.

Comment

Have guns and bow. Willing to travel.

Comment

I give up (pigs)

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                    Yep,

Just looking at the picture of your setup, It looks like it's pretty boxed in with tree's and bushes and if it is, that is not good setup for pigs because the wind tends to swirl in area's like that

Those pics above are not where I'm bow hunting. When I do bow hunt there it will be from 20 feet up a tree. For now I rifle hunt it from 115 yards where I can sit and watch them for as long as I want.

This is where I got busted. I need a bow hanger in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grady_jones View Post
                      man i wish i had some pigs on my lease
                      no y o u dont

Comment

Feeder pens and trapping, hope they move on

Comment

If you live fairly close to your lease, start trapping them. Hunting them wont even keep up with them really. We built a trap similar to the Jager Pro system last year, and have caught a bunch of pigs already.

Comment

Stop feeding corn year round if you don't want pigs. When my (few) feeders run out in winter I don't refill until September, and I have pens around them also. I still have hogs, but we shoot them regularly and there's no hogs laid up at feeders.
                            Attached Files

Comment

When you have a pig problem, screw the bow......get out the guns and start taking them out.

Comment

Get out of east Texas.

Comment

Working...
                                X