No announcement yet.

LRGV NWR-Teniente

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that makes me rethink my strategy. I was expecting fairly open country. Thanks again for the recap!

Comment

I'll b out this weekend hunting w/Dad and bro. Hope we have some luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

4 of us will be hunting the East Lake portion of the reserve this weekend. I haven't seen much information on that tract. If anybody has any tips or ideas for that section please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by chase15 View Post
          Well we came home yesterday with our tail between our legs. We only saw 4 Nilgai and they were all together running full speed for the neighbors pasture about 500 yards from us. We walked 15 miles in 3 days and never saw what I would consider "good sign" that nilgai were currently living on the property. There is a lot of old sign but nothing fresh. No fresh dung piles and no fresh tracks. We heard 3-4 shots over the weekend and best I could tell by trucks all 15 guys drawn were out there. Talked to one or two other groups and neither of them had seen any nilgai either. There is currently no water, at least that we could find and we looked all over. It's a tough hunt, it's very thick in there so scouting and finding an area to sit is crucial. We actually saw a ton of whitetail and two very nice bucks so that was cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          That's tough. We hunt a couple hundred yards away from teniente and our pond that is generally filled to the rim, is bone dry this year. Nilgai and pig numbers haven't been all that great for us this year either but they're out there. Seen a couple monster bulls crossing the roads in the refuge heading To our place.

Comment

Headed down to Teniente weds night in a group of 4 for the feb 3-5th hunt. Sounds like it will be a tough hunt.

Comment

We (3 in my group) will be heading down Thursday. Goodluck to everyone hunting. I'll try and give reports daily.

Comment

Looks like yall are going to get that same NNE wind that we had last weekend, I was hoping it would switch to the normal SE and see if that helped some of those spots down there. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Ok we have arrived, we got in 45 minutes before dark and checked the area we hunted during the archery hunt. Still looked like positive sign so we will
                  Be sitting there in the morning.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the update. I'll be following this thread closely- rooting for y'all!

Comment

Nothing on the sit this morning. It seemed like good conditions just nothing moving. Like I mentioned above we just sat where we had success during archery hunt. I did see a game camera from my sit this morning. So may have been other hunters in the area. Going to try new spots this evening.

Comment

Are you staying out there all day? I read that nilgai are active all day.

Comment

Watch your step fellas!

Comment

Just getting off the refuge. Not a whole lot of action out of the pop-up blind, but we did see a group of 6 cows running across the Sendero we were on. They looked like they were being pushed by someone. Anyone shoot? Heard a couple shots from the north end of the refuge.

Comment

Seems slow our way as well no neialgi spoted on our end. Lack of fresh sign has me stumped where to even try next.

Comment

We are sitting on the north end but was not us. We pushed a few areas on the west end but didn't see any nilgai. A few whitetail here and there. Didn't even encounter much fresh sign today. I'll update yall after the evening hunt. Goodluck

Comment

Working...
                                X