No announcement yet.

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I need a beer after reading all this work out stuff made me tired and made me thirsty!

Comment

Good luck guys! Seems you know how to stick to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        May was an interesting month. My vivofit says I averaged 12.5 miles of walking a day. Gonna be hard to top that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
        Is that an app on a phone or a watch??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          Is that an app on a phone or a watch??
          It is a watch with a pedometer that track steps and you can download/track your data on your phone.

In my personal opinion... hiking fitness comes from being on your feet and moving alot as much as you can. Crossfit, P90x, lifting, and all that jazz is great (I do that too) but none of those things help you when what you need to do is keep your feet moving forward.

A great workout I did recently was to walk, for a hour, with a 15lb dumbell in each hand. I stopped every 5 minutes and did 10 pushups. So I got 3.5 miles walking... carrying 30 bounds... by hand... with a little chest workout in there.

Comment

Tildenhunter- thanks a bunch.

Season's coming quick, Colorado draw results today just upped the motivation. Good luck to everyone hitting the mountain this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
              Tildenhunter- thanks a bunch.

Season's coming quick, Colorado draw results today just upped the motivation. Good luck to everyone hitting the mountain this fall!

Chris do you know much about that unit y'all drew? Or going in blind? I know it's right across the highway from where y'all hunted last year so hopefully y'all have as equally epic of a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

*nevermind just saw someone posted about the BHA hike

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  I'm already the shape of a mountain... it's easy.
                  Hard to argue with that. You win.

I cut out dr pepper a few weeks back, bought an inexpensive squat rask and weights to start out with and been feeling the pain. Shedding some weight already, slowly but surely. Found an eliptical I'm inquiring about next. No hunts planned, for lack of money, but a need to loose the gut and be more agile with farm work. Everyday chores have been getting harder, along with dealing with the heat... and chasing kids. 34, 5 ft 9 or so, and weighing in at 220. Want to be back to 170 and more toned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                    Hard to argue with that. You win.

I cut out dr pepper a few weeks back, bought an inexpensive squat rask and weights to start out with and been feeling the pain. Shedding some weight already, slowly but surely. Found an eliptical I'm inquiring about next. No hunts planned, for lack of money, but a need to loose the gut and be more agile with farm work. Everyday chores have been getting harder, along with dealing with the heat... and chasing kids. 34, 5 ft 9 or so, and weighing in at 220. Want to be back to 170 and more toned.

You can do it!!!

We are the same height and I was at 225 coming into 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      You can do it!!!

We are the same height and I was at 225 coming into 2017.

Yeah, those pics Tod took at chester provide additional motivation. Down 5 lbs since then, which was what, 2 weeks ago?

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                        Yeah, those pics Tod took at chester provide additional motivation. Down 5 lbs since then, which was what, 2 weeks ago?

Yep. I slowed down to about a pound a week. Just went under 180 this week. Looking to be about 175 with some upper body tone.... not for the mountains but just for general fitness.

Comment

My legs have been sore today so I was gonna use today as a rest day. Figured I would feel like a lazy *** if I didn't do anything so I did a Tabata mile. 20 seconds of work 10 seconds rest. Ran it in 7:56. Anything under 8 is fast for me. Def got the lungs gassed and loosened my legs a little.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            Chris do you know much about that unit y'all drew? Or going in blind? I know it's right across the highway from where y'all hunted last year so hopefully y'all have as equally epic of a hunt.

I've hunted it in the past, so I'm not particularly worried about getting on deer. You can pretty much find big deer anywhere along the continental divide in my experience. One of the guys that introduced me to backpack hunting about 10 years ago took me there and killed a 170" 4x4.

My legs have been jello for a couple weeks, diet is one of my weak points.

Comment

Man I don't know if it was just being worn out from work and the gym or if I didn't sleep good last night or what but my hole body hurts today lol. Hopefully I'm not getting sick. May take my off day today before the 4.5 mile ruck tomorrow morning with BHA

Comment

I'll play.

20 straight days of both lifting and running or rucking every day, and joe defranco's agile 11 or whatever it is called.

Been on the football track or stadium every morning at false dawn or the trails out here at the state park with 50#. Lots of flying 100s, 400s and 800s. I hit a sub 60 second 400 the other day for the first time in about forever. My right hip has been talking to me on the trails with anything over 50# so not sure on that.

As for weights, I again purchased the strongest shall survive, it is an old school book from Bill Starr. Using a modified version of it, to fit an every day a week version of what I am doing. Hitting weights I haven't hit in several years on the squat, clean, press and hang cleans, feeling great actually.

I am a frequency guy, some folks aren't. But I bought a BIG ARSE calendar and I started the "don't break the chain" of Xs on the calendar. One maker blue marker for running/ruck and one red marker for weights. So far it has be fantastic for me to visually see it on the wall, and it feels great to get it hammered out every day by lunch. Sometimes life gets in the way and I have to wake up at 4 am to run or I am stuck squatting in my garage at 10:45 at night but whatever, just trying not to break the streak.

As for food, I always eat well for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is always my culprit. With wife and two kids, I just cook most nights with lots of veggies, mashed sweet potatoes and a hunk of meat, but no seconds and no dessert. But my biggest deal is if we go out, go ahead and eat and don't stress. I used to be the guy who would go off the deep end if I ate something crappy once, not anymore, at least not in the past few months. ha ha ha

Congrats to everyone on their hard work this year!!!!! Critters are going to hit the dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X