95 Ford Bronco Rear Bumper Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 Ford Bronco Rear Bumper Build

Been wanting a heavier duty bumper for my truck for a while that I don't have to worry about bending if I jack it up with a trail jack by the bumper so decided to build one to show at the KISD Ag Mech Show. Gonna be 2x6 rectangular tubing in the back narrowed to 3 inches at the ends so I can build rear quarter panel guards with some 2x3 tubing. It will also have a dual swings ways, one for a tire and one for a trail jack/ jerry cans. Gonna be starting from scratch building brackets out of 5/16" plate and goin from there. Here we go.
    What I've got done so far.

Been a year or so since I last ran a bead so y'all welders out there please tell me how the pic I snapped of one of the beads I ran looks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TexasHunter.280; 12-02-2016, 07:21 PM. Reason: messed up

Years ago my dad a truck with a rear bumper made out of 6 inch pipe. It had a valve stem on the back side so he could fill it with a couple hundred pound of air and use it to air up a low tire.

Comment

Love that bronco!

Comment

Tagged, weld looks pretty dang good to me.

Comment

Honest question, as I don't know much about vehicle mods...

Would something like this require some attention be paid to the connection point between the mounting bracket and the frame? More support, for instance, or a third mount point? I've been wanting to have something similar done to mine, but I worry about all the added weight that my new plans would have for the bumper. I would just be afraid that it would rotate sort of down and under the truck. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
            Honest question, as I don't know much about vehicle mods...

Would something like this require some attention be paid to the connection point between the mounting bracket and the frame? More support, for instance, or a third mount point? I've been wanting to have something similar done to mine, but I worry about all the added weight that my new plans would have for the bumper. I would just be afraid that it would rotate sort of down and under the truck. Does that make sense?
            I don't think anything would need to be added mounting bracket wise, the stock position has three holes so that removes the possibility of it rolling downwards. The only extra for mounting wise I'll be adding is a gusset to the outside face of both mounting brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by El Bigoton View Post
              Years ago my dad a truck with a rear bumper made out of 6 inch pipe. It had a valve stem on the back side so he could fill it with a couple hundred pound of air and use it to air up a low tire.
              That's pretty dang smart!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Got some more mocking up done today, wanting to make sure everything is good before I start welding stuff together.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Finally got to work on it again. The tubing warped inwards on the ends so I decided to throw on some 1/4 inch gussets. Now I just gotta weld them in and cut some gussets out for the inside of the brackets.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Haven't been in the shop too much lately but was able to knock out a few gussets to try and correct the warping this thing had happen to it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got the diagonals cut. Started about a 1/2 inch out from the brackets and narrowed it down to 3 inches at the ends.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I also got the diagonals welded up just don't have endcaps on it right now since I'm gonna be welding quarter panel guards on anyways.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by TexasHunter.280; 03-12-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Got the tire swing away welded up for the most part minus the part that holds the tire.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Did you buy that Bronco from someone there in your neighborhood?

Comment

Working...
                              X