Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam!!! Mighty tempting to do some trading! Please share some knowledge!

Comment

An Obsidian blade with some nice banding in it.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_204504.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	24486094

Name:	20170123_204525.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24486095

Comment

Not much knowledge here , l just made big rocks into little rocks. But you name the material and I most likely have it I bet I have over 5 thousand pounds of good stone just sitting behind my shop.....

Years ago I would make all the Knapp-ins and shows and sell and trade rock...

,,,Sam,,,

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
          Some early points. Now I'm going fishing and it will be late tonight before I get home!
          [ATTACH]842834[/ATTACH]
          Wow! Those look great! Really like the Montell.

Comment

PM sent Sam.

Comment

Couple recent attempts.

Name:	IMG_6904.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	24486219

Name:	IMG_4214.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	24486220

Name:	IMG_6905.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24486221

If anyone knows of upcoming knappins that they are attending or that they would reccommend please post. I have never knapped with anyone else before and could use some help on techniques, thinner points and better flaking patterns. Tough to learn just by watching youtube videos.

Comment

Red_RaiderHTC, some nice looking work!

Comment

Sam has some good rock. He fixed me up with some good stuff back when I first started knapping. I really liked working with the rootbeer and Georgetown blue and Georgetown black. Love them pancakes. Lots of good flints/cherts come from Texas. Arkansas and Ohio too.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                    Red_RaiderHTC, some nice looking work!
                    Thank you. But as you can see i struggle with sending flakes to the centerline on anything over like 2" wide. I need some help from an experienced knapper. As reccomended earlier i will try to attend some knapp-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                      this is something I have been interested in for a few years and never followed through with it. I will be watching several videos when I get home on how to. Can some of you post pictures of the tools you use to knapp please? I am interested in seeing the different types of tools being used. I have a good source of rock down in kimble county I just need tools and know how. Subscribed to the thread

Name:	IMG_6911.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	24486276
                      My small collection of tools.

Comment

Got a box of rocks in the mail today, thanks Matt. Didn't get much chance to play with it yet, wife went in the hospital for BP monitoring after some bad numbers this weekend. 35 weeks tomorrow, twins will very likely be here this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                          Got a box of rocks in the mail today, thanks Matt. Didn't get much chance to play with it yet, wife went in the hospital for BP monitoring after some bad numbers this weekend. 35 weeks tomorrow, twins will very likely be here this week.
                          Glad to hear it made it.... does it look like the bifaces all made it or was any busted up?

You, your wife and all the kids will be in my families thoughts and prayers this week for good health!

Comment

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Didn't get a chance to look through it very thoroughly, but everything seemed to be all in the pieces it was sent in. Didn't seem to be anything broken much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Messed with a couple of Matt's flakes today. Also spent some time at the gun show with a guy who knapped. Between Matt's good rock and the guy's technique advice, I knocked out these two this afternoon. Much better thinning on these, although I didn't try real hard to refine them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet!! Looks good. I really like that material with all the small white fossils and and inclusions in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X