Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such beautiful work. I can never get tired of looking at the fine art of fling knapping. This thread deserves to be brought back to the top. Rock on gentlemen and ladies!

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
      Such beautiful work. I can never get tired of looking at the fine art of fling knapping. This thread deserves to be brought back to the top. Rock on gentlemen and ladies!
      Thanks!!! I'll try and post some actual explanations, definitions, how and whys later.

Comment

That's impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

outstanding work Muzzlebrake

Comment

Here are some of my early ones from back in 2008-2009...

Last edited by crumrw; 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

This one I did for my boss, and good friend, who let me get my first archery deer at his ranch.

Last edited by crumrw; 02-21-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                I have been known to make a little gravel from time to time. Arthur-itus don't like it when I do this anymore.
                Nice work on the Eden.

Comment

Here are a couple matching walleye knives I did for my wife's uncles (two of my best friends)

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

crumrw: Outstanding work/ You do the scrimshaw work on the handles?

Comment

Thank you, and yes I did the scrimshaw work. The deer was my first, followed by the feather, the two walleyes, and then finally the duck. Still getting my feet wet.

Comment

You are quicklearner. OUTSTANDING work.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

this is something I have been interested in for a few years and never followed through with it. I will be watching several videos when I get home on how to. Can some of you post pictures of the tools you use to knapp please? I am interested in seeing the different types of tools being used. I have a good source of rock down in kimble county I just need tools and know how. Subscribed to the thread

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                                .........lets talk tools. I use "modern" copper tools and hammerstones some. All my tools are homebuilt.
                                First a quick pic of where i knapp, my back porch. It faces south and the sun sets nicely in the evenings making it a relatively warm and protected place to knapp in the early spring, fall and winter.
                                [ATTACH]840441[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]842624[/ATTACH]
                                two of the basic tools needed to start from a larger rough piece are your bopper and abrader. My abrader is a piece of busted up common grinding wheel and other grinding wheels of various coarseness.
                                [ATTACH]840442[/ATTACH][ATTACH]842625[/ATTACH]
                                the abrader is like sandpaper on steroids for stone. We use them to remove areas of stone to thicken and strengthen platforms. Please ask questions if you have any.
                                Next boppers, used to strike the platform to remove flakes, both large and small. My boppers are basic copper pipe caps that i have melted and filled half way with lead then attached to some type of handle. You can see i have wood and pvc pipe handles. The largest is 2" all the way down to 1/2", basically bigger tool bigger flakes of material removed- smaller bopper smaller flakes.
                                [ATTACH]840445[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH]842626[/ATTACH]

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X