Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes

Comment

I've never been to Chisholm trail but you can usually bet that the pay parks are better. When I camp out there I usually find one of the pay parks. Better upkeep (usually) and for the most part people who like to steal stuff don't like to pay to camp

Comment

If it's like it was this morning on Saturday I'll have a hard time getting back to Iredell in time for the homecoming parade

Comment

Chisholm Trail vs. Steele Creek . Both almost the same. Except Steele Creek closes the gate at 10PM. And don't reopen till 6AM. You can still go out after 10PM. But you can't get back in till 6AM. Keeps a bunch of the bar crowd out after closing time. Chisholm Trail is in/out @ 24/7, no gates. Steele Creek dose have water some what availble at most of the camp sights. But best to bring a hose and a hose splitter. Because most water spickets are shared between 2 camp sights. Chisholm Trail has no water. But you can make that last minute run to the store for beer before they close without getting locked out .

There is always McCown Valley that would make the drive shorter for the DFW folks. Located mid lake. Starting Oct 1st, got electric, water, and RV hook-ups (if needed) for $14 night. Also got cabins with RV hook-ups for $30 night. $24 cabins with no RV hook-ups (but usually have electric outlets inside, and water outside). And primitive sights for $10 night. Gated from 10PM till 6AM.

I used to line the cabins, on ACE trips across the state, with poly-tarps to keep the wind out. Sure makes a big difference when it comes to heating .

Also, if you buddy up and split a cabin 2-4 ways, it's pretty nice for a weekend. There is usually a picnic table inside each cabin in most parks that have cabins across the state. Fire rings and/or cooking pits outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
            Come out and eat with us on Friday Mike.
            I just might do that. What time you gonna eat? Lunch or dinner? PM me if ya want. I might have the boat and pup with me.

Comment

Mike, you already retired?

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on hunting H1 area, staying closer to that side of the lake will work better for me. I can get by with out electricity and pack in water, I will pull the travel trailer for convenience, buddy is pulling the boat for ease of access.

Storm - What do you mean by "only because I've seen Steele Creek"

Comment

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Good luck to everyone able to hunt this weekend. Hunting forecast looks 100% both sat. And sun.

If its possible, be in the stand from 11:00-2:00..... Peak feeding time.

If you have a few seconds while on stand,, keep us in your thoughts...

24 hours from now, we will take the second step on my wife's journey.

Comment

Good luck to the two of you BS.

49 deg this morning around the south of Spinks.

Comment

Originally posted by chino View Post
                      Mike, you already retired?
                      Chino, only until I go back to work.

Buckshot, will do. And let me know if there is any thing I can do for yall; if yall need a currier service, dogs fed, anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter247 View Post
                        Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on hunting H1 area, staying closer to that side of the lake will work better for me. I can get by with out electricity and pack in water, I will pull the travel trailer for convenience, buddy is pulling the boat for ease of access.

Storm - What do you mean by "only because I've seen Steele Creek"
                        The times I've been there it was always loud and trashy looking and seemed iffy at best. I was at Chisholm trails on Saturday and it was mowed and clean as can be , with no water I just pack it in and bring my generator also. I'd bring the rv but I need the truck to travel around.

Comment

I saw 4 deer out at 9am this morning on my way back from granbury. I felt like donkey saying "you know that really made me feel good seeing that". Definitely excited about Saturday really hope this cool air holds

Comment

I hope to run into a few of yall in the campsite not the woods !!

Comment

Got out for my last scout before huntin time this am....felt great out. Breaks my heart to see the trash some people leave. I'll never understand how someone can manage to haul in two 40 pound bags of corn but can't seem to carry out the empty 4 oz sacs afterwards. Anyways, saw some stands up, so I'll avoid those areas. Met another hunter out there for the first time and it he seemed like a good dude, glad that guys like that are huntin out here. Just a couple more days fellas. Police your trash, stay quite, keep hammering....

Comment

this is the only buck I got on camera before my camera gave out( it think sometime last weekend). But I have 3-4 does that show up almost every day.
                                I know he's young and probably not legal but the mass on such a young buck makes me excited for how he'll be in a few years hope he can last that long
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X