Someone school me on lightbars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davik View Post
    Going to put a 24" led light bar on the front of my 2014 Tacoma and have been confused by all the numbers! I have found them for 39 dollars to 400 dollars...help! What wattage do I need? How many lumens is too many? All I want is a lot of light to drive at night.
    I hope that plan is not for public roads/highways.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
      I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .

My in-laws had this problem on a different utv. I replaced all of the lights with LED lights and it decreased power consumption enough to not cause a problem. You just need to put a meter on it and see how it does right now when you have the headlights on at idle.

Comment

I just bought a bunch from Auxbeam. For the money, if it breaks, I can replace them multiple times before I spend as much as a rigid. And I'm sure the technology on them will continue to improve. I hope to wire them up next week. But the reviews online and on YouTube are pretty good and they have a one year warranty, so we will see.

Comment

I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .
          Don't do the math from the advertised wattage. I have a "120
          Watt" light bar. If you do the math this should draw 10 amps at 12 volts. Actual measured current draw about 3.5 amps. Unless you are running one of those stereos that will shatter the windows of any cars around you, you are OK.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
            Not sure on wattage but just keep in mind the 42" maximum height (without a cover) when it comes to light bars on vehicles. I've read a couple of threads on here about folks being ticketed if driving with them on public roads without them being covered.

source: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm

I Googled and found a watt to lumen converter. Any light bar will be too bright to pass for use on public roads which is why I went with 2 LED pods.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              ...like the one that is approaching you in the pics?...
              That's not a road, it's an alley. Notice how my truck takes up the whole paved space. And it's not a car, it's the side of a 7-11 gas station.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                That's not a road, it's an alley. Notice how my truck takes up the whole paved space. And it's not a car, it's the side of a 7-11 gas station.
                Well, if yore lights and/or camera were any good, you'd be able to see it clearly...

That is probably the best gif I've seen demonstrating the lighting capabilities of these dang LED lights. I'm in the process of rigging out my new Pioneer 1000 and when I turn all the lights on, it gets daylight for 200 yards around that thing!

Comment

We have a 24" on ours and try not to have it on unless the mule is on. So far no issues and its stupid how big the difference is with the mule lights vs the light bar.

The light bar has been left on, accidentally, up to 20 mins without the mule on and the mule started right up. No recommending it but rather explaining the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Well, if yore lights and/or camera were any good, you'd be able to see it clearly...

That is probably the best gif I've seen demonstrating the lighting capabilities of these dang LED lights. I'm in the process of rigging out my new Pioneer 1000 and when I turn all the lights on, it gets daylight for 200 yards around that thing!
                    You are right. They are even better in person. The camera doesn't capture the light very well.

Comment

My new Pioneer 1000 came with high/low beam LED's that are pretty dang good, but with that curved bar on the top... front and rear (still have yet to add the side cubes I got), It don't ever get dark 'round my machine when it's in use... Put interior LED bars on it too... No problem finding my stuff in the dark because there ain't no dark left when I throw all them switches!

Comment

I got a cheap one off Amazon that had plenty of positive reviews. Put it on my ATV at the lease.

This is headlights to bar comparison.https://vimeo.com/199063889

It is a combo bar.. think it was 24in total.

Great deal for the money.

Comment

no need to go top of the line really but don't cheap out.. I have a few rigid pods I got on sale and they are awesome and the housings have held up much b etter than my cheaper ones. I have 4 pods on my sxs roof and they light up better than my buddies 40" but again he spent 60 bucks. I have a middle of the road 20" on the front bumper of the same rig and a 6" on the rear of the roof and they get condensation in them all the time and the housings have faded dramatically- not a huge deal but. I also have noticed while doing some research that the power consumption is usually different between the cheapos and the more expensive lights. for what most people use them for I don't think it matters but just things I have noticed during the hours of "research" I did before I bought mine..oh also all my friends that bought amazon ones the brackets where actually plastic vs the aluminum ones on the "better' ones

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                            Did you focus around the rim of the face of the light with the silicon?

I've been wanting to know where exactly to put the silicon on my cheaper bar.
                            I went around where the clear lens meets the housing, on both ends where the seam is, and around where the wiring goes into the housing.

You can google youtube videos on how to do it and it will give you all the info you need.

Comment

This is a 12"auxbeam.... or something (amazon special) payed -$40 for it and it's seen move water and rain than most will and works flawless. There is really no need to even turn the headlights on other than to see display on instrument panel.

I'd remove my winch before I'd give up this light. Great investment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                This is a 12"auxbeam.... or something (amazon special) payed -$40 for it and it's seen move water and rain than most will and works flawless. There is really no need to even turn the headlights on other than to see display on instrument panel.

I'd remove my winch before I'd give up this light. Great investment
                                I put a pair of that exact light on the back of the top of my new buggy. And yea, they make daylight for a long way when I need to see while backin' up in the dark!

Comment

Working...
                                X