Someone school me on lightbars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to put a 24" led light bar on the front of my 2014 Tacoma and have been confused by all the numbers! I have found them for 39 dollars to 400 dollars...help! What wattage do I need? How many lumens is too many? All I want is a lot of light to drive at night.

same

Comment

No need to spend 400 bucks.

I had pics of rigid cubes next to my much cheaper cubes and could not tell a difference. Not in light throw or construction ie: harness,seals and mounts etc. I need to measure the mounting holes on the jeep bumper so I can order another extreme. I have a 22" (extreme) and two cubes on the front of my tacoma (aurora)

Comment

Get with Extreme LED, a site sponsor. I have one of their bars and love it. Use it all the time.

Comment

Not sure on wattage but just keep in mind the 42" maximum height (without a cover) when it comes to light bars on vehicles. I've read a couple of threads on here about folks being ticketed if driving with them on public roads without them being covered.

Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS.

(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:
          (1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
          (2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED.
          (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
          (b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
          (c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.
          source: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm
          Last edited by JonBoy; 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
            Get with Extreme LED, a site sponsor. I have one of their bars and love it. Use it all the time.
            When I click on their link on the home page the website is broken. How do I find the company that is the actual site sponsor. When I google extreme LED I get a ton of sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
              When I click on their link on the home page the website is broken. How do I find the company that is the actual site sponsor. When I google extreme LED I get a ton of sites.
              X2

Comment

My experience is that most have good lights. The housing is better on the more expensive ones. The cheaper ones have a tendency to leak causing condensation inside the lens. I have a 36" and a 20" on my Ranger. I bought a $6 tube of silicone and covered all the places where water could get in causing condensation inside the lens. So far, no issues at at.

I think I paid $80 for the 36" and $40 for the 20"

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                  High Performance, Top Brand with Great Pricing on LED Light Bars and LED Light Pods. Lifetime Warranty and Free Shipping over $100.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                    My experience is that most have good lights. The housing is better on the more expensive ones. The cheaper ones have a tendency to leak causing condensation inside the lens. I have a 36" and a 20" on my Ranger. I bought a $6 tube of silicone and covered all the places where water could get in causing condensation inside the lens. So far, no issues at at.

I think I paid $80 for the 36" and $40 for the 20"
                    Did you focus around the rim of the face of the light with the silicon?

I've been wanting to know where exactly to put the silicon on my cheaper bar.

Comment

I did not buy an expensive light bar because they are so easy to steal off the front of the truck. I bought this exact light bar in March 2014 for $185, but today the price is $39, which is insane. It has been rock solid for me and I could not be happier.

Here is a picture of my low beams, and then one with the light bar. See how high it shines vertically? That is why you should never use one when other cars are on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        I did not buy an expensive light bar because they are so easy to steal off the front of the truck. I bought this exact light bar in March 2014 for $185, but today the price is $39, which is insane. It has been rock solid for me and I could not be happier.

Here is a picture of my low beams, and then one with the light bar. See how high it shines vertically? That is why you should never use one when other cars are on the road.

...like the one that is approaching you in the pics?...

Comment

I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .

Comment

I had a 30 inch on my Jeep that cost about $40. It worked great for the times I needed it. I now have truck that came with a 50 inch Rigid E series that cost about 1500. Its brighter but bigger. I don't understand someone spending 1500 on a light bar. A $39 bar is probably fine for what you are going to use it for. If you want to be able to drive with it on while on a public roadway you will probably need to buy a set made for that. I have a set of Rigid Dually driving lights that I use at night. A 30 inch bar is most likely not going to be legal to drive with it on. If the Rigids didn't come on my truck, I would be buying cheaper lights. Just my OP. Good luck.

Comment

I put this 7" light bar, 12 LED's, 3w each on my Rancher and man did it make a difference. I paid $40 for the light, mounts, wiring harness and the switch- Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X