Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
    I got you covered the 30th

And a javi to put on the pedestal with my big deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fish_n1 View Post
      Watch your wind!!! Start off calling soft for anything that is close then get loud. Keep your head on the swivel but really look for path of least resistance to the call. Be patent sometimes it takes a while for something to come in.
      I like this I always watch my wind and the down side of it. Even my approach is wind knowledgeable. I like to walk into my areas and start not a fan of highracks. Rabbit distress isn’t the only thing to play

Comment

Yes but it don’t come up anymore. Kansas oklahoma you count. Kinda lol
        So you already read all 500+ posts in that thread? The thing is a gold mine of information. Why repost the same things that have all been laid out already once?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          So you already read all 500+ posts in that thread? The thing is a gold mine of information. Why repost the same things that have all been laid out already once?

I actually did reall ALL 500 posts of it. If your not going to contribute move along. Research how many 6.5 creedmoor posts there are

Comment

I am in. Went quite a lot working up North for 4 years. Getting back going down here soon. Good practice for off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I run a fox pro hammer jack
              Primos shooting sticks
              Wicked light just ordered a new sniper hawg light
              Rem 700 vssf 220 swift 55 gr v max
              Rem 700 Vs 223 55 gr v max
              Rem 700 22 creedmoor 60 gr v max
              Use to run a Rem 700 vssf 204. Good for cats.

Comment

Add another in for learning. Anyone, preferably in the DFW area, interested in taking someone under their wing to teach the ropes. I’m not afraid of hard work to get the job done and know how to keep my mouth shut about locations.

Comment

I actually did reall ALL 500 posts of it. If your not going to contribute move along. Research how many 6.5 creedmoor posts there are
                  Fair enough lol.

Daytime calling post # one of the above linked thread nails it.

For night calling predators we always use a high seat. Set up basically same as you do during the day but can get away with hiding in the wide open on dark nights. Have to be sneakier on those full moon nights. You will stick out like a sore thumb other wise.

I always pull up to a spot I want to call and like to wait a minute or 2 before getting out and setup. And when setting up try to be quiet but hard to do with 4 guys in and out of a truck. Once up top and everyone is settled turn the lights on first before anything else and get a lay of the land. Killed quite a few critters during this time and never even had to turn the call on. Once lights are on I never turn them off. Had to many foxes and coyotes suicide run the truck and literally were shot within 20-30 seconds of being spotted and were less than 50 yards from the truck. So don't shut the light off you never know what you missed that came hauling in and out in the 2-3 minutes it was off. Like mentioned above start sound as quiet as you can and then slowly work sound up. I usually start with a rabbit sound swap to a fox distress or bird sound in the middle and then back to a rabbit sound again using 5 to 7 minute runs per sound. If I am getting lots of hits on the jack rabbit sounds I will stick with that the rest of the night. If it is cotton tail will stick with that. Grey fox distress though is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds. Everything eats them and foxes will respond to it like crazy even on slow nights when nothing else is working. Most stand I am calling it around the 15-20 minute mark. But if I am after a cat will sit till around the 30 minute mark. Most animals it seems both day and night for me are shot around the 8-12 minute period. But have killed them everywhere in between from as quickly as 30 seconds after turning on the call up to 35-40 minutes in.

I will also say that having good quality lights has increased my effectiveness in killing animals significantly a lightforce spotlight was my main squeeze for a bit but now running 2 of the sniper 66lrx handhelds in red and loving it. But killed them for years under cheap cyclops white lights.

Oh and I can not understate how important it is that you need to be able to SHOOT. This isn't deer hunting and you can't approach it the same. You need to be able to see the target, aquire it in the scope, and then make a good shot on it from field positions quickly and accurately. Many times that first 15 seconds of him standing still is all your going to get so you better be able to take it but don't miss him either. This comes from having an accurate gun and being proficient with it. Best thing I ever did was get a flat shooting .204 that shoots bug hole groups and takes all of the guess work out of it for me. No more thinking about it now to kill an animal just point and shoot and within 300 yards it is toast. A good set of sticks also helps a ton and then go out and practice off of them to get good at shooting off them. Then when it comes time to go hunt you are familiar with them and already know what to expect and how to manipulate them to get the shot you need in a hurry.

Sorry for the long winded post. Think I covered most everything, and this is just the method I use not the gospel and it evolves over time as I hunt and learn more as the years pass and hunt with other experienced hunters and pick up tips and tricks along the way.

Comment

Fair enough lol.

Daytime calling post # one of the above linked thread nails it.

For night calling predators we always use a high seat. Set up basically same as you do during the day but can get away with hiding in the wide open on dark nights. Have to be sneakier on those full moon nights. You will stick out like a sore thumb other wise.

I always pull up to a spot I want to call and like to wait a minute or 2 before getting out and setup. And when setting up try to be quiet but hard to do with 4 guys in and out of a truck. Once up top and everyone is settled turn the lights on first before anything else and get a lay of the land. Killed quite a few critters during this time and never even had to turn the call on. Once lights are on I never turn them off. Had to many foxes and coyotes suicide run the truck and literally were shot within 20-30 seconds of being spotted and were less than 50 yards from the truck. So don't shut the light off you never know what you missed that came hauling in and out in the 2-3 minutes it was off. Like mentioned above start sound as quiet as you can and then slowly work sound up. I usually start with a rabbit sound swap to a fox distress or bird sound in the middle and then back to a rabbit sound again using 5 to 7 minute runs per sound. If I am getting lots of hits on the jack rabbit sounds I will stick with that the rest of the night. If it is cotton tail will stick with that. Grey fox distress though is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds. Everything eats them and foxes will respond to it like crazy even on slow nights when nothing else is working. Most stand I am calling it around the 15-20 minute mark. But if I am after a cat will sit till around the 30 minute mark. Most animals it seems both day and night for me are shot around the 8-12 minute period. But have killed them everywhere in between from as quickly as 30 seconds after turning on the call up to 35-40 minutes in.

I will also say that having good quality lights has increased my effectiveness in killing animals significantly a lightforce spotlight was my main squeeze for a bit but now running 2 of the sniper 66lrx handhelds in red and loving it. But killed them for years under cheap cyclops white lights.

Oh and I can not understate how important it is that you need to be able to SHOOT. This isn't deer hunting and you can't approach it the same. You need to be able to see the target, aquire it in the scope, and then make a good shot on it from field positions quickly and accurately. Many times that first 15 seconds of him standing still is all your going to get so you better be able to take it but don't miss him either. This comes from having an accurate gun and being proficient with it. Best thing I ever did was get a flat shooting .204 that shoots bug hole groups and takes all of the guess work out of it for me. No more thinking about it now to kill an animal just point and shoot and within 300 yards it is toast. A good set of sticks also helps a ton and then go out and practice off of them to get good at shooting off them. Then when it comes time to go hunt you are familiar with them and already know what to expect and how to manipulate them to get the shot you need in a hurry.

Sorry for the long winded post. Think I covered most everything, and this is just the method I use not the gospel and it evolves over time as I hunt and learn more as the years pass and hunt with other experienced hunters and pick up tips and tricks along the way.

I don’t know many predator hunters down here so I’ve been lucky enough to meet a few of what I call good hunters and it has helped me a lot. Last dog I shot came it at the 24 min. Titmouse

Comment

Will also add probably a solid 85% of critters I shoot with my rifle are shot with the scope at the lowest power or 4.5 on my scope. And that includes a bunch of them between 200-300 yards. I will crank it up and zoom in if one has hung up and isn't moving to get a good solid shot on him. But only if time and the situation allows it, seen to many critters escape from people screwing with trying to zoom in there scope or have a yote pop out at 50 yards and can't find it in the 14 power scope. Lowest power setting can be shot close or far and much quicker aquisation of the critter in the scope compared to having the scope cranked all the way up.

Again use your discretion but this is what I have learned over the years and watched several dogs escape from screwing with the scope so been doing it this way for last couple years and my called to killed ratio has improved ever since.

Last edited by westtexducks; 09-26-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                        I actually enjoy predator hunting at night almost as much as hunting deer. We are using thermals and electronic calls, but still have a lot to learn!

We have been successful on Fox, Coyote and Bobcat with electronics and thermals, but it is real hit and miss. Would like to become more proficient.
                        Predator hunting in Texas is my vice. Can't get enough of it and will hunt deer and other stuff but nothing like the rush of shooting a hard charging fox or coyote 15 steps from the truck at night or right at your feet during the day. First time you shoot a coyote at 15-20 feet from you your hooked for life. We haven't really started up hot and heavy yet in my area but it is quickly getting to be that time of year where we start shooting them heavily.

Comment

Predator hunting in Texas is my vice. Can't get enough of it and will hunt deer and other stuff but nothing like the rush of shooting a hard charging fox or coyote 15 steps from the truck at night or right at your feet during the day. First time you shoot a coyote at 15-20 feet from you your hooked for life. We haven't really started up hot and heavy yet in my area but it is quickly getting to be that time of year where we start shooting them heavily.

Yes I’m Deep South and it’s starting to get good I keep my scope at 7 if I can and hammer the zoom if I can. I started this thread to just basically talk predators. I like red lights

Comment

Depending on who I'm hunting with we use lights from a high rack or thermal from the ground. As far as success rate and which has the bigger advantage I think thermal wins hands down. But the downside is obviously not everyone can afford thermal,including me.

Up here predator huntin at night is against the law so 90 percent of the predators I kill are in the day light.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 09-26-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                              In to learn as well. Been wanting to get into predator hunting for a few years now.
                              Hit me up bud
                              Once I get over these VA surgeries in your guy. Predator hunting is my main hunting I have a few ranches across the state I have access to

Comment

In

Comment

Working...
                                X