No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Hill Country Hunting Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from Sonora and it's very dry! The deer are looking good, but we sure need the rain.

Comment

I'm currently sweating my behind off waiting for axis to come in to water south of rocksprings. I got a few drops earlier but not enough. We need rain

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Went out to the lease this past Wednesday for a quick trip to do something for the landowner. 2 of my cameras quit, so I need to replace those. I shot 3 hogs and found out the coons are breaking into a feeder. So gotta get all that resolved in next few days or so. Very dry but creek still has water with the spring still trickling out nice cold water.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
          This was him last year in the camera screen, his name is Bob. We're in Llano county. The last 2 are pics from him a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
          That's a stud! Do you guys consistently see these size bucks on your place year after year?

Comment

THAT IS A HUGE DEER for the area!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Man, that stinks. Kill that sucker.
              You'll have to hang all of your feeders or go with Stand-N-Fill

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                That's a stud! Do you guys consistently see these size bucks on your place year after year?
                We do but we also have been managing it for 20 years now. Low fence, bow only and 5.5 or older unless it's an obvious cull who's 3 or 4. No spikes what so ever and we feed protein heavily at about 5 spots and we just feed corn at most feeder pens. Usually we have a 160+ some years but last year the biggest killed was a 130 so it varies every year like with any place. Our neighbors corn the fence lines and sit in high racks and shoot 3 and 4 year olds that cross the fence so we also deal with the same problems everyone else does but you just have to stay consistent.

Comment

We fed this weekend in Blanco Cty, still just a dust bowl. We didnt see many deer but mostly because we showed up around 9 am, threw feed until noon and then left. Put cameras out on all protein feeders and our water troughs, looking forward to pulling them in a few weeks. We have fed about 4 tons more this year than the 5 years prior so i am hoping that helps despite the lack of rain.

Comment

I'm ready for anything to make some sausage this year. Hurricane Harvey visited me last year and jacked up my whole season. Freezer is empty.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      Anyone try alfalfa? I’ve never fed it for deer, but it’s so dry I’m going to try it this year. After about 4 days they had eaten around 1/4 of it. We’ll see how they like it and what’s on camera.
                      Well... they really liked it, surprise surprise. Lasted right at a week. I had about 1100 pictures in 8 days. These two guys camped out on it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice on the Alfalfa, I will throw some in the pens this weekend and see how it goes with our deer. A little worried if the cows will break into the pens or not though.

Comment

If you have cows, I wouldn't throw alfalfa in the pen. They tore ours up once and I swore I'd never do that again.

Comment

One of my neighbors called me a couple of days ago and said despite the terrible conditions, he's seen some of the biggest bucks he's ever seen at our place this year. They put on a bunch of fat last year and didn't hit feeders, so they have have had some holdover nutrition to carry their growth this year.

Comment

This is a deer named potential that is not quite living up to his name

Comment

I'm on a pretty small low-fenced property, but I seem to be the only water source around. I've set it up to where the runoff from my ice machine at the house funnels out underground and fills a tank near my feeder. On my 1 acre honey hole, I went through a full bale of alfalfa and an entire protein block on top of the corn in 5 days. These boys and girls are starving!!

Comment

Working...
                                X