DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    The trypan is FAR from a weak expandable. In my opinion its the strongest mechanical ever made
    Ok but it's still only a 100-125 gr head spread over a large cutting service. Not really "strong" considering the competition. Regardless, it'll likely work great. Good luck

Comment

Are you hunting unit 21a and 21b? I'll be hunting muleys there in November.

Comment

So TexAg, just curious what broadhead you would shoot for elk?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
          So TexAg, just curious what broadhead you would shoot for elk?
          I didn't mean to side track the thread. I'm looking forward to his recap when he gets one down.

I think the Iron Will he mentioned would be great. I just got back from an elk hunt and had 125 gr Viper Tricks screwed in. I've used standard Slick Tricks in Africa and had great results.

Comment

Good luck on the hunt. From your photo by the elk I just realized who you are. We used to shoot against each other at cowtown from time to time when we were kids.
            Last edited by aggieman08; 09-10-2017, 11:53 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

Thanks for including us. Tuning in and hoping your are successful on a monster bull!

Comment

Just made one last WalMart run. I think I have everything I need. I got 20 gallons of water for 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck! I'm looking forward to following along.

Comment

The only bull I have ever lost was with a mechanical. Not going to mention the name cause I don't want people freaking out on me. I love them and still use them for deer and pigs. Elk is a different deal. I know people have done it. To me it would be like hunting deer with a 22 when you have a 7 mag. I would not shoot out to 70 or 80 either. Not saying you can't hit them I just don't see getting enough pennitration at that distance. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                      The only bull I have ever lost was with a mechanical. Not going to mention the name cause I don't want people freaking out on me. I love them and still use them for deer and pigs. Elk is a different deal. I know people have done it. To me it would be like hunting deer with a 22 when you have a 7 mag. I would not shoot out to 70 or 80 either. Not saying you can't hit them I just don't see getting enough pennitration at that distance. My 2 cents. Good luck.

I'm shooting the fixed lol

Comment

love the solid broadheads. they are exspensive but worth every penny. I have shipped several back to manufacturer and they send brand new ones back. you talk about flying good at greater distances this is the broadhead. your fixed blades look a lot like them. good luck on your hunt. just telling what has worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by weminuche View Post
                          love the solid broadheads. they are exspensive but worth every penny. I have shipped several back to manufacturer and they send brand new ones back. you talk about flying good at greater distances this is the broadhead. your fixed blades look a lot like them. good luck on your hunt. just telling what has worked for me

Ya the solids fly better than any head I've ever shot. I've broke to many in targets to trust them. The iron will is basically a better built version. Titanium ferrule and no weak spot where the bleeders are.

Comment

In for the win.

Comment

you must have 40 gallons of whiskey going if there's that much water!!

Hope you rented a team of mules!

Comment

Caught up and looking forward to following along! Good luck!
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X