No announcement yet.

LeBron’s I Promise School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a former educator I am well aware of the broken education system. It is just as tattered as health care and immigration and only becomes a talking point for politicians who do nothing real. Celebrities who take on projects like this are admirable as long as it can light a spark for future progress, especially in communities that cost taxpayers the most.

Comment

I like the idea, he’s putting his money into something rather than just complaining about it. Say what you want about the guy, but he’s one of the few major athletes that has never been in the news for some sort of scandal.

Now how it’ll be sustainable, is beyond me. Only way I think it is sustainable is if he has financial partners within the community also apart of it

Comment

As a group of people that (for the most part) is of the mindset that government welfare is a negative thing and individual charity to those in need is a positive thing, we should be cheering this. This is the epitome of individuals giving charity where it is needed without using tax dollars.

Is it sustainable? Probably so with deep pockets backing it. People with deep pockets tend to have the ability to analyze something like this or at least pay people who can analyze it. When you get to a point where your net worth is north of 7 figures, it doesn't take much of an interest rate to be able to fund something like this. On top of that, there are multiple methods of leveraging your "charitable money" in ways that make these types of things very doable.

I don't know much about LeBron James, and don't really care to know much about him. But if this kind of thing is an indication of the man's character, he seems to be one of the good guys.

Good for him. I hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          My origination of this thread had nothing to do with his politics or mine, just wondering aloud how sustainable this is and can he actually keep the school’s namesake?

But Rocky makes a good point, LeBron’s comments opened it up to political scrutiny
          And what does this school have to do with those politics?

If anything it should provide a bridge to the perceived other side. We may not agree on much, but one thing we can agree on is kids getting great education.

Comment

I think its healthy conversation to point out the possible inaccuracies by those in the know when a basketball players makes a nice gesture like this. Thus ensuring those inaccuracies are brought to the forefront and worked out ahead of time instead of keeping your mouth shut on ones nice gesture and watching it fall apart down the road. "Well at least he meant well".
            Facts don't give two flying flips about your feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
              And what does this school have to do with those politics?

If anything it should provide a bridge to the perceived other side. We may not agree on much, but one thing we can agree on is kids getting great education.
              I dunno man, hit the Tweeter and ask King James, he is the one that mashed to 2 together in his statements

Comment

Probably going to end up like Trump University

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                  Although this gesture is good, using his celebrity status to go on television and bash Trump and accuse him of furthering the racial divide, in effect , is actually doing the same thing, if not worse. He’s simply playing to his fans, of which I am not.
                  Amen, he said he wouldn’t sit down with Trump but would with Barry. Barry inflamed the racial divide. Labron is a moron. Well intentioned but no common sense.

Comment

Don't like Laballhog now matter what he does to get a tax break

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Amen, he said he wouldn’t sit down with Trump but would with Barry. Barry inflamed the racial divide. Labron is a moron. Well intentioned but no common sense.
                      Common enough sense to make hundreds of millions of dollars, and not just off of NBA contracts - maybe even a billion if reports are correct.

Comment

Common enough sense to make hundreds of millions of dollars, and not just off of NBA contracts - maybe even a billion if reports are correct.
                        So common sense is determined by how much money you make? Jeff Bezos has 160 times more common sense than Labron.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          So common sense is determined by how much money you make? Jeff Bezos has 160 times more common sense than Labron.
                          I do believe that is part of the equation ...

Comment

I wonder if there will be this much publicity should it fail. Or will it just quietly go away.

Comment

I commend him for trying it, but Deion Sanders tried it too, and that tells me there are ulterior motives.

I hope it works and sparks others to follow, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do believe that is part of the equation ...
                                Good to know. I guess that’s why people who win the lottery usually go broke.

Comment

Working...
                                X