No announcement yet.

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something note worthy is - this big old broadhead made a hole, that the shaft had very little drag resistance as it penetrated. It was almost an easy two finger removal from the barrel. ALL of the other shots were very hard to remove the arrow from the barrel.

Rick

Comment

I have checked a feed store here but no one knows where I could find such a barrel.

Comment

Well I finally picked up a barrel and shot this evening. Shaft was smashed in the end unfortunately

Anyhow, here's how it all came out.
        Dryad Orion Longbow
        67lbs@28" (I draw 27.5" so I'm guessing 65.5lbs or so).
        Carbon express heritage 250 arrow with 100gr. brass insert, 2" aluminum footing, and 250gr VPA 2blade single bevel broadhead.
        FOC 25.68%
        10.68 gpp

Just under 7 1/2" hanging out. Don't know if it sucked much penetration out, but I didn't realize the barrel wasn't sitting very level. When the arrow hit, the barrel rocked quite a bit and the arrow was actually sticking in at a downward angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
          Well I finally picked up a barrel and shot this evening. Shaft was smashed in the end unfortunately

Anyhow, here's how it all came out.
          Dryad Orion Longbow
          67lbs@28" (I draw 27.5" so I'm guessing 65.5lbs or so).
          Carbon express heritage 250 arrow with 100gr. brass insert, 2" aluminum footing, and 250gr VPA 2blade single bevel broadhead.
          FOC 25.68%
          10.68 gpp

Just under 7 1/2" hanging out. Don't know if it sucked much penetration out, but I didn't realize the barrel wasn't sitting very level. When the arrow hit, the barrel rocked quite a bit and the arrow was actually sticking in at a downward angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Awesome, and Thanks !!!!!!

Rick

Comment

P.S.
            Really looking forward to seeing what your cape buff rig will do.

Rick

Comment

Ole Buff ought to try it with his elephant rig!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Ole Buff ought to try it with his elephant rig!
                That would be a real treat.

Rick

Comment

Got another one coming out the barrel backside.

That "you-finish" longbow that I got a couple of weeks ago is supposed to draw 70-75#@28". Thought it felt noticeably stiffer than my 70# Weathers recurve. Weighed both today on a hanging scale (with assistance of wife). Weathers bow = about 73#@28". Check, okay. The Ringing Rocks longbow comes in at 90#@28"!!!!

I knew it was kinda tough to string that baby, but ... Dang!

I'm reminded of Rick ordering a 76# Martin that turned out to be 98#.

Anyway, it shot the 679-grain arrow into and got about a third of the head out thr back of the barrel. And this was with very unstable flight by that 400 spine arrow.

Need to get some new arrows for sure to shoot through this thing. Really zips em, though.

Here's pics: (Btw, pic says 85# because that's the weight at my 27" DL)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome Ellis !!!

Rick

Comment

rick, for years ive been doing this, only i shoot my metal burn barrel.
                      thru 1 side is ok, but if i can get penetration into the off side, i'm good to go.. have messed up so nice wood arrows over the years but its a good test..

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                        rick, for years ive been doing this, only i shoot my metal burn barrel.
                        thru 1 side is ok, but if i can get penetration into the off side, i'm good to go.. have messed up so nice wood arrows over the years but its a good test..
                        Me too Jeff.

The thing I discovered is - the plastic barrel is actually harder to penetrate, but usually results in less damage to the arrow.

You gonna do one (or several) for us?

Rick

Comment

I've had a bunch of requests to do an arrow test with something between 6 & 8 GPP.

This is as close as I could get, and still have a good arrow tune to the bow. 535 grain / 7.75 GPP / 21% FOC.

I still say Old Fred Bear had it right with his between 9 - 10 GPP analogy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

Wow

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              Wow

Pretty eye opening, ain't it.

No way I'll ever go below 9 gpp on any bow less than 80# at my draw weight, and I'll never go over 10 gpp on any bow.

My heavy bows (96 & 98) I'll drop down to 6.5 gpp. That's still well over 600 grains of arrow, going real fast, but if ever going for big African dangerous game I would bump even these bows arrow weight up to between 9 & 10 gpp.

Rick

Comment

Well that is pathetic. Now I have to rethink some things.

Comment

Working...
                                X