No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I"m hoping a pop-up blind with 3 heaters and some sleeping bags will be enough to keep a 12 year old comfy enough to stay at the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by captainmike View Post
      I will be out in Unit 7 this weekend and also plan to hunt hard. I like it that it will be cold, maybe keep the game moving. I will also jump on the forum, if I can get cell reception out there. It was spotty in my area when I was out scouting.
      I worked there for 4 months , and I always had good reception, I have at&t, if you have t mobile you are just out of luck, you are going to have to go to a high place to get reception

Comment

Who would have guessed that I got the "nice" weekend last week.

Good luck out there.

Comment

Went out this afternoon and saw some does at 240 yards. She tried to get a steady shot but wife was too cold. Tried to stalk and get closer but we were too loud with all the leaves on the ground. We know where they are and will capitalize on it in the morning. We will have buddy heater in the blind with us tomorrow.
          Any other reports?

Comment

25 degrees at my house in Liberty Hill this morning. You guys and gals stay warm, and good luck out there today!

Comment

Skipped morning hunt. Im feeling sick. Will pump my self full of medicine and head out in afternoon.

Comment

Up in Unit 7 from noon yesterday until noon today, and have seen a total of 1 coyote. I think I drew the "dead zone".

Comment

In the popup now. Wife is ready to shoot something.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

We hit it hard, especially Saturday. In unit 8, 20 (ish) degrees. Did not see even one deer. My 12 yo was one tough cookie and never complained about the cold. It's always good to be out with my son in the wild but we were a bit disappointed with the results. The threat of sleet sent us home early today. Back in Houston now.

Comment

at the top of unit 7. saw two small does at last light the first day but didnt get a shot. saw a nice buck yesterday but my hunting buddy spooked him by slamming the window on the blind up too fast. shot a hog a little while later and got my buck tag. waiting on big boy to show back up today.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

my buddy just shot a doe.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Good luck tonight txfire! I will be hunting unit 2 next weekend and will keep y'all posted on how the hunt goes.

Comment

Did anybody have any luck this weekend? I hunted unit 1 with my brother. Of course I saw a nice 8 point buck on Saturday while still hunting a drainage. He was only 40 yards from me. If only I had a buck tag. I also saw a spike buck in the evening. He walked in behind me at 15 yards. I heard something and turned my head to see him looking right at me through the grass. He got spooked and left before I could get my rifle up.

Comment

I was up in 7-G and saw one lonely coyote still hunting on Friday afternoon. I sat on a game trail for 6 hours on Saturday and did not see anything and gave up. Not sure I will apply again next year, although I liked being out in the boonies. 2.5 days to scout and hunt a big area is a bit much to ask for and make it worth the $60. Hopefully some others were successful. If not, and they are serious about reducing the herd, they need to think about making some changes if they want people to kill animals. Maybe they just want to report they provided X # of hunter days to the public. Although in orientation, they did report a pretty small deer population, and close to their goal.

Comment

Working...
                                X