Weatherby accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weatherby accuracy?

May be able to get my hands on a 300 WBY Mark V rifle in a trade, It's used but in what looks to be good shape.

I know with any gun there's always some variables that come into play but excluding any unseen issue how was the accuracy on these rifles generally?

Mark Vs are top notch rifles. They can be as accurate as anything you could find. There are variables, of course. Is the barrel shot out? Did somebody screw up and free float the stock (removing the pressure point)? Is the load you're shooting accurate in that particular rifle? Etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Mark Vs are top notch rifles. They can be as accurate as anything you could find. There are variables, of course. Is the barrel shot out? Did somebody screw up and free float the stock (removing the pressure point)? Is the load you're shooting accurate in that particular rifle? Etc....
      Agreed. I know its a bit of an open ended question but the little research I did generally held the Mark V in high regard.

I'm waiting for some better pictures tomorrow. Ill post them up, the guy who has it got it in a trade and he has zero idea on the model year or anything else with it.

Comment

Shane’s account seems to be popular but I have owned or worked with 4 different Weatherby rifles and none of them shot well

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Shane’s account seems to be popular but I have owned or worked with 4 different Weatherby rifles and none of them shot well
          I could see that side of the table too. But heck pretty much every brand ever has had its duds.

My weatherby experience is very limited. The only one I was ever familiar with was a synthetic stocked 300 and it was a cannon. I never saw any groups it shot but I did see it make a kill at 415 yards give or take.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
            I could see that side of the table too. But heck pretty much every brand ever has had its duds.

My weatherby experience is very limited. The only one I was ever familiar with was a synthetic stocked 300 and it was a cannon. I never saw any groups it shot but I did see it make a kill at 415 yards give or take.

Pic for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My weatherby mark V does not shoot well. As soon as I get the funds it will be getting a new barrel and stock.

Comment

I've had a few, along with a few that my dad has/had. I haven't seen one that wasn't accurate yet. We reload everything for the Weatherbys. I haven't had any experience with factory ammo, so that's a variable as well. This was the most recent load I worked up for a 7mag Weatherby. Found a good load for that particular rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  And on the other side of the coin, I have a mark v in .300 wby
                  A vanguard sporter and a laserguard both in .257 mag
                  And a vanguard wilderness in 7mag

They are by far the most accurate rifles i own

Comment

I have a Mark V Lazermark in .300 Wthby, it’s the best shooting gun I own. It’s been a 3 shots touching grouper since day 1, straight out of the box. It’s been a safe queen for the last 15 years so I brought her out this year, still 3 shots touching group.

Comment

Doesn’t weatherby have a lifetime warranty on their barrels. Guaranteed 1” groups or they will replace the barrel? With weatherby ammunition that is
                      Last edited by Arrowslinger1; 12-05-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I have a Mark V 270 wthby mag. It’s my main shooter. The only gun I’ve ever owned that shot as well was my Sendero 7mm STW. I love mine.

Comment

I have owned three. My 300 WBY groups just under 1 inch at 200, my 257 Wby is better than that. Had a 270 WBY Mag that I loved to shoot. Got it for my son. It was the same as the others. Of course I worked up a load for each of them to get them there. Factory ammo produced 1" to just over 1" groups at 100. The way I see they should be stacking on top of each other at that range.

Comment

I have a vanguard in 300 win mag and my buddy has the exact same one but in 7mag he’s getting sub moa groups at 400 with the Hornady eldx factory ammo. I’m still working with mine most of my inconsistency is me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the accuracy isn’t there it’s not the rifle! It’s you!

Comment

Working...
                              X