hearing aids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hearing aids

It's time...but I can't see myself shelling out thousands for them. Any of you with good experiences on some lesser expensive models I would appreciate the advice.

Costco.
    They have hearing aid centers. I went through extensive testing at no cost other than the membership. The doctors (examiners) do not work on commission. They will recommend what they think you need, but they have quite a few options.
    I've had mine for a little over a year now and I'm very happy with them. They fit behind the ear with a little clear tube going to the thingy that goes into the ear canal. Not noticeable at all, although I wouldn't care if they were more visible because I can hear again. I can select different modes for different situations: Normal, traffic, TV & music, party - which screens out background noise. All on my smart phone.
    I paid $1,800.00, three year warranty and any adjustments that may be required are free. Just make an appointment.
    My hunting partner got some several months after I got mine and there had been an upgrade, I think he paid around $2,300 for his.

Bob Lee

Comment

If a Vet, they are free.

Comment

I bought mine from Costco and been happy with them, service is good.

Comment

Good luck---mine are VA-issued to service-connected disability. If you were ever in uniform, and have hearing loss, it is a presumed service-connected thing and the VA will treat you for that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
            If a Vet, they are free.
            The VA gave me some great Hearing Aids that link to my iPhone

Comment

I am 32 and this day is coming soon unfortunately. I have a little girl on the way and saying "huh" for every 2 sentences of her life isn't going to work. Thanks for the information above.

Comment

Costco. I have had mine a year. They have been great.

Comment

I have high frequency loss. Pretty severe. Have trouble hearing young women, teenage girls etc with high pitch voices. Really tough on me as I have a heck of a time hearing my grand daughters. No much trouble hearing men speak as they tend to have lower frequency speech. Hearing aids help but don't fix the whole problem for me. Shop around for prices. There are some real flim flam folks out there who will nail you to the wall on pricing.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming if you have anything different than Costco or military. I am not a veteran, but I am a member of Costco.

Comment

I wear them now. They have changed my life . I can hear the change rattling in my pocket now. I was tired of shaking my head and smiling like I really heard the conversation. Go for it.

Comment

I've got a constant ringing in my ears and I can't hear high pitched noises. My wife (and kids) swear that her brakes squeal extremely loud, but I've never heard them. Will hearing aids help with the ringing?

Comment

Not that the above fellows are wrong or haven't had good luck with Costco but this is what my wife does for a living. She is not a rep or a technician (as you may see in some of these types of places), she is an AUD and not on commission.

Anyway, long story short, a majority of her patients come to her after going to the big box stores, spending 1500-2500 and not being satisfied or even hating the product, lack of service, etc. Ultimately they will buy hearing aids from her...so in other words they had to pay twice to help 1 problem.

So take that into consideration. Also, there can be more to hearing loss than just being exposed to loud noises for an extended period of time (Cancer, Tumors, Viral Infections, etc). I'm not sure the person at Costco that just had to take a quiz to get his license from the state would be able to help you with that.

In my opinion, I'd go to an actual audiologist in a hostpital/clinic setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            I've got a constant ringing in my ears and I can't hear high pitched noises. My wife (and kids) swear that her brakes squeal extremely loud, but I've never heard them. Will hearing aids help with the ringing?
                            It won't go away, but they do have hearing aids that play a white noise to make the ringing less noticeable/nerve racking.

Like listening to a fan blow vs squealing brakes

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                              Not that the above fellows are wrong or haven't had good luck with Costco but this is what my wife does for a living. She is not a rep or a technician (as you may see in some of these types of places), she is an AUD and not on commission.

Anyway, long story short, a majority of her patients come to her after going to the big box stores, spending 1500-2500 and not being satisfied or even hating the product, lack of service, etc. Ultimately they will buy hearing aids from her...so in other words they had to pay twice to help 1 problem.

So take that into consideration. Also, there can be more to hearing loss than just being exposed to loud noises for an extended period of time (Cancer, Tumors, Viral Infections, etc). I'm not sure the person at Costco that just had to take a quiz to get his license from the state would be able to help you with that.

In my opinion, I'd go to an actual audiologist in a hostpital/clinic setting.
                              Don't be so quick to discredit Costco. My sister has been wearing hearing aids for over 30 years, with no shortage of money to spend to get the best available. She recommended Costco to me through her experiences.
                              And they do test for disease.

Bob Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X