Which lens to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdma View Post
    That's the camera I have as well. It seems like that lens would be good for taking pictures of the home interiors to get that wide angle. What is your thought
    Seems like it would be good for that. Particularly since you already have a 24-70mm f/2.8L for when you don't want to go as wide. The Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 should be better because it would cover the gap in focal length. But it's also about $230 more expensive than the 11-16.

Comment

[QUOTE=cfortner;12551696]I love my Tokina 11-16. Here are some of the shots I've taken with it.

Excellent shots! I was scrolling from the bottom up and hit your pictures. I was dreading to see what lens you were using because I ordered the Tokina on Monday. I was quite relived when I saw they came from the Tokina.

Comment

So far I'm really happy that I went with the Tokina. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
          Casey does the 16-35 get wide enough in the landscape? I know the Tokina on a 1.6 crop body would be a little over 17mm so I have to assume the 16 on a FF would be good.
          The 16-35 on a full frame is as wide as I will ever need. I don't think I will ever get use out of anything wider.

Horseshoe Bend
          by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
          Casey are you certain your Tokina won't physically fit your 5D3? When I was recently looking for a wide angle lens, I found out that some people buy the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 to use on full frame cameras. (And now that includes me.) It can only be used at 15 or 16mm without vignetting, but for the price point, I was fine with that limitation. I haven't really used it all that much yet, but for the limited time I have, it's worked fine on my Canon 5D3 and I've been pleased with the the photos I've taken with it.
          I put the Tokina on the 5DIII and it did, in fact, fit and work...at 16mm. I find that to be virtually useless to me, though, due to having the 2 versions of the 16-35. Interesting it fit, but again, I don't need a 16mm prime.

Puncher,
          I think you'll enjoy that lens. You're off to a great start.

Comment

Thanks Casey, appreciate the info. I'm thinking about the F4 version. I really don't need 2.8 wide on this type of lens since I wouldn't ever shoot it wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              So far I'm really happy that I went with the Tokina. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!
              It's a fantastic lens, nice shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                Thanks Casey, appreciate the info. I'm thinking about the F4 version. I really don't need 2.8 wide on this type of lens since I wouldn't ever shoot it wide open.
                The f4 is a stellar lens. However, you can shoot f2.8 at f4 and not be wide open but you can't shoot f4 at f4 without being wide open.

They both have their merits. I've kept the 2.8 for night stuff mainly.

One thing to remember with super wide's is that you will get less than desirable results with a polarizer. I've screwed a few shots up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                  The f4 is a stellar lens. However, you can shoot f2.8 at f4 and not be wide open but you can't shoot f4 at f4 without being wide open.

They both have their merits. I've kept the 2.8 for night stuff mainly.

One thing to remember with super wide's is that you will get less than desirable results with a polarizer. I've screwed a few shots up that way.
                  How much you want for the f4?

Comment

Working...
                  X