• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insect ID

School project. What is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dobson fly or i think they also call them hellgamites

Comment

My mother used to know, if you don't figure it out in the near future, I can ask her. The place where my mother used to live, there were two walls, one on the house and one wall of her shop, they were both facing the same direction. But we would find those critters all the time on only those two walls. I would guess those walls were facing north, not really sure. The females if I remember correctly, have what look like smaller jaws or pinchers. I think it is the males that have some huge things that look like pinchers. They typically get four to five inches long.

It took quite a few years, but eventually, I know my mother figured out what they are. But her place is the only place I have ever seen those things.

I just looked them up, found it very quickly. They are Dobsonflies and that is a male, I was correct, it is the males with the large pincher looking things.

Comment

Just Google dobson fly. That looks like it. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great fishing bait when they are in the Larva stage of the life cycle. But be careful, they will bite! LOL

Comment

So where did you find it? The only place I have ever seen them, was my mother's old place. Then there were only two walls that were facing the same direction, that those things would be on. I have never seen them anywhere else. She used to live half way between New Braunfels and Canyon Lake. I have been all over that area, never noticed them anywhere else in the area.

Comment

Dobson fly and they can BITE

Comment

Insect ID

We called em hellgramites, great trout and bass flys. Don’t let em get a finger though. They hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We've found them along the llano river, used to be a bait shop in Junction that sold helgramites for bait, always made for a good fishing trip.

Comment

Working...
                  X