No announcement yet.

Show off your golf cart mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll post more pics with the whole cover on.

I use mine out in the big wheat fields as a rolling blind. We call it the Bait and wait wagon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Abcdj; 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      Ha, I'm no Jedi. Thanks for the compliments though. I just bought one to fix up a few years ago and it gave me something to do outside that I enjoyed. Since then I've lost count on how many I've done and I still enjoy it and still learn with every one. I just picked up another last week from a TBHer and started a build. Here's a before picture with all the golf related stuff stripped off. Hope to have it done in a couple of weeks.

Bowslayer I have a question for you. I have a 98 Club Car DS. Upgraded controller, upgraded D&D (I think) torque motor, HD F&R switch and solenoid, 2 gauge cables, lift & 22" tires.

Anyway, last season it had a 3 year old set of Trojan 875 batteries in it. During the summer I could get around 20 miles +/- hauling around 2 people, feed, etc. as it started getting colder it would still get 12-15 miles. Toward the end of season I started losing speed and battery life. I assumed the batteries were going out. So in September of this year I replaced all the batteries with a brand new set of Trojan Ranger 160 batteries which are supposed to give me up to 40% more run time between charges. I'm told that they replaced the previous model 890 batteries. Immediately i noticed that I was not getting as much run time as my old 875s. It got so bad that last weekend in the cold I only got 4 miles and list 50% of my charge.

Is there anything I need to look for that may be causing excessive current draw? Could it be a bad battery or two? I paid a LOT of money for these batteries and so far I'm NOT happy at all.

Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Bowslayer I have a question for you. I have a 98 Club Car DS. Upgraded controller, upgraded D&D (I think) torque motor, HD F&R switch and solenoid, 2 gauge cables, lift & 22" tires.

Anyway, last season it had a 3 year old set of Trojan 875 batteries in it. During the summer I could get around 20 miles +/- hauling around 2 people, feed, etc. as it started getting colder it would still get 12-15 miles. Toward the end of season I started losing speed and battery life. I assumed the batteries were going out. So in September of this year I replaced all the batteries with a brand new set of Trojan Ranger 160 batteries which are supposed to give me up to 40% more run time between charges. I'm told that they replaced the previous model 890 batteries. Immediately i noticed that I was not getting as much run time as my old 875s. It got so bad that last weekend in the cold I only got 4 miles and list 50% of my charge.

Is there anything I need to look for that may be causing excessive current draw? Could it be a bad battery or two? I paid a LOT of money for these batteries and so far I'm NOT happy at all.

Suggestions?
        Batteries require a break-in process to get full potential out of them. It could be that you just haven't gotten them broken in fully yet, where your other ones had been broken in for a while.

Make sure you go over to cartsunlimited.net and check out Scotty's breakin process. That's the one that I used and the batteries are still holding strong going on 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Suggestions?
          Like Bucksaw said they need to be broken in properly first. Charge them often and try not to let them deep discharge before charging. Did I mention to charge them often? If you ride it for 5 minutes or 2 hours charge it. You can't charge too much. Other than that I would put a volt meter on the pack and watch it when you are driving to see if it drops voltage under load. You very well could have a bad battery.

Comment

One more thought Mike. Make sure your cart rolls freely. You may have a brake dragging or bearing issue.

Comment

Ok, 2 more thoughts. Your charger may not be working correctly. Check the voltage of the pack right after charging and again 12 hours after charging. You can pm me if you need help with anything.

Comment

Ok, 2 more thoughts. Your charger may not be working correctly. Check the voltage of the pack right after charging and again 12 hours after charging. You can pm me if you need help with anything.
                After the season i want to change my 36 to 48. Put me a list of things Ill need to do this with out changing the motor please.

Also mine rides rough and the shocks on front seam to bottom out . How can I fix this problem?

I just put new batteries in mine and it seams sluggish too. I will charge it often like you said.

You are the Covert/Golf cart Guru !

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                  Also mine rides rough and the shocks on front seam to bottom out . How can I fix this problem?
                  Dave, one way to fix would be to go with coil over spring shocks. I bought a pair on ebay for the front and they are solid. A little stiff but I think they should last a while. Good luck on the conversion buddy!

Coil Over Heavy Duty Shocks Set of 2. (2) 18" Heavy Duty Shocks includes all the needed bushing hardware. Fits Front. Be sure to add us to your favorites list ! Check out our. SPN-0109A;; 28460.
                  Attached Files

Comment

After the season i want to change my 36 to 48. Put me a list of things Ill need to do this with out changing the motor please.

I just put new batteries in mine and it seams sluggish too. I will charge it often like you said.

You are the Covert/Golf cart Guru !
                    First, what kind of cart and which drive system do you have?

Comment

Show off your golf cart mods

One more thought Mike. Make sure your cart rolls freely. You may have a brake dragging or bearing issue.

I've checked for mechanical binding and all is good there.

Funny you mention about the charging. I am having to replace the charging receptacle on it because the sensing wire came loose from it. Not sure if it's progressively been going bad but I'm hoping that is the solution. I had noticed that even with 70% battery power that even charging overnight the charger was not cutting off like it wasn't fully charging.

I have been keeping a 2A maintenance charger/desulfator on it for the last 2 weeks or so. I'll see if that has helped this weekend.

I've checked all the connection on the battery and they are all tight. Probably need to check the connections on the controller and motor as well.
                      Last edited by Mike D; 11-21-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks Louie,
                        I have a e- z go txt 96 model.

Here are some pics.
                        I found a camo Cordura tarp one time at northern freight. I had enough to make the seat covers, doors and front to back cover.

I used 3/4 inch tubing for the door frames. I cut the tarp myself and had a place sew the seams and zipper in the windows.

I put button snaps along the front and back bumpers to secure it down.

It's 12 years old now and seen it's better days but still works great as a portable blind
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Louie,
                          I have a e- z go txt 96 model.

Here are some pics.
                          I found a camo Cordura tarp one time at northern freight. I had enough to make the seat covers, doors and front to back cover.

I used 3/4 inch tubing for the door frames. I cut the tarp myself and had a place sew the seams and zipper in the windows.

I put button snaps along the front and back bumpers to secure it down.

It's 12 years old now and seen it's better days but still works great as a portable blind
                          Nice cart but if I'm looking at the pictures correctly that's not a 1996 model. It looks to me like the steering rack is mounted on the front axle and they started doing that in 2001. Also still need to know which drive system you have. If you don't know how to tell if you can post a picture of the battery compartment I can tell you.

Comment

Nice cart but if I'm looking at the pictures correctly that's not a 1996 model. It looks to me like the steering rack is mounted on the front axle and they started doing that in 2001. Also still need to know which drive system you have. If you don't know how to tell if you can post a picture of the battery compartment I can tell you.
                            It might be 01, I'm a mechanical idiot. I will post a pic,
                            thanks BS , oh wait, Bow Slayer

Comment

here ya go

Name that year
                              Attached Files

Comment

Name that year
                                2001 or newer and it has the standard series drive system. To go to 48 volts you need ...

2 more 6 volt batteries
                                48 volt controller
                                48 volt solenoid
                                48 volt charger

Might as well go with a heavy duty solenoid and HD f/r switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X