• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
    I had that same conversation.

Me too

Comment

Fun thread.

I like catching pan fish... and to be honest, I like a little diversity in the ponds I fish.. Greenies, Gills, Pumpkins, etc,...

Comment

IF the OP stocked his tank/pond/water hole with flathead/yellow cat/op, the green sunfish/slick jim/creek perch are about the best thing he could feed them. If he's got mudcat/polywog he needs to feed them dynamite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          What's this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I always call them Channel cat but it may be a channel Bullhead hybrid.

Comment

What's this one?

Fat

Comment

That big cat came out of a ~3/4 of an acre tank that was all but dry 8 years ago. Tail isn't round like a bullhead, too big to be a channel, not a blue....??

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                This must not be in Texas, no ponds in tx, there are a few tanks though
                It drives me crazy. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  Tanks have concrete ponds don’t.

Incorrect. No concrete in a tank.

Ponds on the other hand are in the city surrounded by concrete with fountains, a jogging trail and park benches......in Texas anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                    I always call them Channel cat but it may be a channel Bullhead hybrid.
                    Regular old Channel cat

Comment

[ATTACH]915332[/ATTACH]
                      Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

That big cat came out of a ~3/4 of an acre tank that was all but dry 8 years ago. Tail isn't round like a bullhead, too big to be a channel, not a blue....??

I can tell you what it AIN'T... It ain't a flathead.

What it is, is indeed a regular old channel cat, and yes, they do indeed get that big if they have the forage/food to eat.

Did you guys skin him? If you did, you would have found a big yellow strip of flesh/fat running down his upper back.

Comment

I wasn't there when he caught it, but he released it and has caught it again since then.

I just dismissed the possibility of a channel cat that big in that little tank. Thanks for the clarification, men.

Comment

Sometimes its hard to tell a blue from a channel, especially in real stained water or real muddy water. Flatheads, yellers,appaloosas or whatever you call them are easy to tell.

Channels can get big if they aint got much competition, live in calm water and can eat good, but I think them blue cats get bigger in a river than channel cats.

Flatheads grow the slowest, dad always said a 20 pound flathead is at least ten years old.

Dad still gets mad at people when they noodle them old fish out their den or hold them up in the air by their lower jaw. If its over 5 pounds it goes back in the water, reckon them ol cats earned a lot respect from my dad. He in his mid 80's and we went fishing for two days last week for flatheads. We did not catch any giants but had a good time. He been fishing for catfish for 70 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                              We call them watering holes[emoji23]

Watering hole is where we went to have a beer when we left the ranch.

Comment

What's this one?

Blue cat

Comment

Working...
                                X