No announcement yet.

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mixed feelings about this canned meat thing. I'd have to try some before I could commit to buying the equipment to do it.

The only canned meat (besides Spam) that I think I've ever had was what we got in our C-Rations in the army. Bad, bad memories of Spiced Beef or as we called it Alpo.

Comment

This thread convinced my Dad and I to give it a go. We canned venison stew- it turned out great. Will be canning more next week.Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        You say just meat in a jar.. you don't add liquid?
        Same question??? No water or other liquid?

What about canning venison stew?

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post

Liquid is optional, the meat will cook in its own juices in the jar. I added a few tablespoons of beef broth to my first batch as I wanted a little extra juice to make into a quick and easy gravy.

Comment

Do you need to can meat while it's fresh or can you thaw what's in a freezer and can that way? Thinking you can since it cools in the pressure cooker but I want to ask

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
              Do you need to can meat while it's fresh or can you thaw what's in a freezer and can that way? Thinking you can since it cools in the pressure cooker but I want to ask

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
              Canning after it's been frozen is fine. I do it this way most times. I will cut up what I want to can into cubes and then freeze it all; that way I can take a weekend and can it all at one time.

Comment

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post

If you can premade soups or stews, just make sure you don't put thickeners (flour, cream, etc) or ingredients that will expand (beans, rice, pasta) when you can. Of course, those can be easily added later when you prepare your meal to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

I did a little experimenting this evening with the rabbit (and some top-round venison).

I decided to chicken fry the round. I also took the rabbit from the jar (and made more stock from the liquid to save for another dish), and dried it with paper towel. I carefully battered and fried the pieces (with the deer). I wasn't sure if it would fall apart after essentially braising in the jar, but it held together fine and fried nicely.

It was tasty and extremely tender (much more so than the venison) although some of the smaller bone/joint fragments made it a little less appetizing.

I want to experiment with more rabbit recipes, so I'll definitely be shooting and canning more cottontails in the near future!

I'm also canning some potatoes, carrots and the rabbit stock as we speak.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Our neighbors in Iowa can several deer a year. Tracy just bought a pressure canner. When in Iowa your must do as Iowegians do.

Comment

Ok I am very intrigued by this. I do have a question. I inherited my wife's grandmothers pressure cooker. It's in storage right now so I couldn't tell you what brand. But how do I tell if its still safe to use? Should I just do a trial run slowly?

Comment

Here is a link to the All American Canner

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          although some of the smaller bone/joint fragments made it a little less appetizing.
                          Wait? What? You left the meat on the bone? Honestly, first thing I thought about when I read this was, when I was younger, a guy told me the best way to eat carp was after you put it in a pressure cooker. Then you could eat bones and All!
                          I'd be interested enough to try a taste test, sans bones, but the looks of it in that one pic is enough that I probably couldn't do it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

As I’ve never used or been around a pressure cooker in my life, to say it was a little unnerving is an understatement. I bet I read the directions a dozen times. When it’s heating up before putting the weight on was no big deal. Once the 10 minutes went by of steam and I dropped the weight on, all the pressure cooker horror stories started going thru my mind. And Shannon sitting there saying “be careful, one blew up on my momma and nanny”

Anyway, figuring out what setting the stove had to be on to get a gentle rocking of the weight took what seemed like an eternity. I’m asking myself “does the weight work, I know the vent isn’t clogged, I checked it before I started, what’s taking it so long”? After about an actual 10 minutes or so, I decided to touch the weight and it began ticking and moving around like crazy!! Seems that the weight was resting just right where it wouldn’t rock. I turned the heat down to get the gentle rock going and felt better about it finally. Set a timer for 75 minutes, let it cook and killed the fire when the timer went off and went to bed. This morning, I opened it up and yup, looks like dog food but I ain’t skeered!! Also made some jerky with Blake’s Ragin Blaze jerky seasoning. All I can say is do yourself a favor and get some!!! The best jerky I’ve ever made!!! I’m gonna let the canned meat sit for at least a month before I pop one open. I’ll report in the results. Looking forward to the possibilities!!

Last edited by Tubby; 12-22-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Been doing this for a while with a 10 quart pressure cooker. I need a larger one for larger jars.

I remember watching my Grandmother coil fresh made raw cased sausage into the big quart jars and pouring hot bacon grease over it then pressure cooking it. Just put it in the pantry until you need it and it's good.

I'm going to do that and see how mine turns out.

Oh try adding all the seasonings you would use in a dish with the venison before canning it. It pushes the seasonings into the meat I guess because it's sure dang good to eat.

Comment

Tubby, and others new to canning...
                                Do not let your jars cool in the canner (like overnight); let the canner cool down enough for the pressure to equalize then remove the jars and let them cool at room temperature. If they take too long to cool flat sour can occur.

Flat sour is not deadly but it makes the product unpalatable. Just give the canner enough time to cool, set the jars on a towel covered counter to cool; do not put a towel on top or wrap them with towels. The need to cool at room temperature, do not try to slow the process.

It may not happen every time they are slow cooled, so yours may be fine Tubby, but it can happen. But, if they taste like crap, you know what happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X