No announcement yet.

What is a good sized 8 pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=jooger17;12813767]One of the deer I am most proud of on my wall is a 127" 8pt I killed circa 2000 in Angelina Co.

As with most deer the score has little to do with why I pull the trigger, but if we have to put a number on it I'd say 125" 8 is a good one. There's a reason why P&Y is 125". A 140" 8 is an absolute giant![/QUOTE]

I am siding with jooger17 on this one.

Great question and really have never thought about it, but if put on the spot today, I would say a 126 3/8" Bosque County buck with 8 score able points would make my list.... just saying..........

Rwc

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24514385

One of the prettiest 8's I've seen. Killed by my neighbor in Mills Cnty. 165 and change

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        120-125" is where I start considering it a big 8 where we hunt.
        Agree

Comment

Here is my biggest 8 which scored 141. I'll be happy if he is the biggest 8 I ever shoot, but have a good chance at a bigger one in a few weeks in Colorado.

I love big 8's!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I like that...

I wish more hunters would take that to heart.....there is more to deer hunting than a scoring system that rewards symmetry over gross.
            Amen

Comment

I think it is a combination of age and score depending on where you hunt. I hunt in east Texas so I would be happy with an 8-point that was 4.5+ and 125". With that being said, sometimes its the story that goes along with the deer. Last year, I killed what I consider a super 8-point in Nacogdoches county that scored 148". My son also killed his first deer last year that was a 115" 8-point. I think I was more excited about the 115" 8-point.

Name:	IMG_5875.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	24514404

Name:	IMG_5999.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	24514405

Comment

Anywhere near us - 13"!

Comment

This is the best 8 I have ever had in front of me. I passed on him but yet I didn't. I probably could have pulled the shot off before this pic which is a still frame from video but I didn't want to rush the shot and I felt like I would have at the moment. I told myself to just chill cause my nerves were amped up big time and not just from his rack but also because of the way he came into my set up and the sheer size of his body. I thought I would give him a chance to settle down before I took my shot, that is until my dumb arse decided to pick up my whole tripod and video camera to allow me more room to draw and shoot.
                  HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!
                  I brushed the blind with the tripod leg as I went to set it back down and it made that sound that everyone knows you don't want to make on a chilly fall morning where everything is perfectly still and quiet. It sounded to me as though I drug nails across a chalk board when I saw him snap his head to look in my direction. That was it...the gig was over and I sat there thinking what a idiot I was to concern myself with trying to film it cause the first thing I saw was his rack above the brush as he entered the kill box and I knew he was a stud buck and most definitely a stud 8. Still it is a hunt that I will never forget. By the way everyone that I showed the video to said don't worry he will be back. That was the one and only time that this buck was ever seen on our lease by anyone. Strange in a way but true.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                    Did Stevie Wonder score him? lmao!! Any deer killed by bow is a success story. Screw score.
                    I like the way you think sir.

Comment

Where I hunt in East Texas 140" is a big 8. In Kansas 155"

Comment

I've killed a few in the 130's and had a 150+ in front of me for a couple of sits that wasn't old enough for lease rules. The 150 was the prettiest deer I've ever seen. This said, I'm still looking for one over 140", which I consider a very good 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

130 on the left and 147 on the right. 125 and bigger is to me a big 8
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                            Whole Lee Chit ! That deer is so wide he looks like a bad photo shop.[emoji16] I hope you get him. What do y'all think he scores?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
                            I really don't know Mike...I started a thread on him asking & it was all over the place. Really doesn't matter, if I like him & get an opportunity?? I think he is pushing 150 but velvet always throws me off.

Like others, score isn't super important but does give a guideline...if he impresses on the hoof as in the pics, it's a no brainer for me. I have an obsession for big clean 8's.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              That is a BIG frickin' slick 8.

Comment

A big 8 to me is North of 40.

Comment

Working...
                                X