Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to have the cameras checked next week.

I was up there for the dove opener. Had some good success on the western side of Wheeler County. I saw quite a few quail too. How's the quail looking?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      That deer has hung potential. Prob could hit the magic number @ 6.5-7.5
      guna be hard enough to wait until he's 5! haha probably will shoot him next year

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
        guna be hard enough to wait until he's 5! haha probably will shoot him next year
        I've finally got to the point where I realize you'll never shoot 170 deer shooting 150 five year old deer. It's a hard thing to do but will pay off over time. We are letting a solid 5 year old buck walk this year. Wish we'd push our minimum age to 7.5. Hopefully your neighbors will not shoot him.

Comment

Work weekend, ready for opener.
          Solid crop of young bucks hanging in the pasture.
          Knuckleheads better not run off.
          Not sure what the plan is, don't think the 8 or that 9 will get any better with another year.
          Both were better last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	24510780

Name:	177.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24510781

Name:	174.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	24510789

Name:	581.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24510782

Name:	888.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	24510783

Name:	1091.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24510784

Name:	1277.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24510785

Name:	1366.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	24510786

Name:	2073.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	24510787

Name:	2768.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24510788

Comment

Clark, how old did you reckon that 9 pt was last year?

Comment

I've finally got to the point where I realize you'll never shoot 170 deer shooting 150 five year old deer. It's a hard thing to do but will pay off over time. We are letting a solid 5 year old buck walk this year. Wish we'd push our minimum age to 7.5. Hopefully your neighbors will not shoot him.
              Each to his own of course, but you are spot on. I can't tell you the number of dead bucks I've seen, and 1 thing appears true, that really big deer are not as rare as it might seem. Still rare, but most of them get shot when they break 140-150 regardless of age.

Comment

Oh ya i totally agree, but one my neighbors will shoot him before then. Hes good about lettin them get to 5 but thats about max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  Clark, how old did you reckon that 9 pt was last year?
                  Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  Each to his own of course, but you are spot on. I can't tell you the number of dead bucks I've seen, and 1 thing appears true, that really big deer are not as rare as it might seem. Still rare, but most of them get shot when they break 140-150 regardless of age.
                  I've posted about 20 pics of him. (post 33, 34, 109).
                  How old do you think that buck is?

Comment

That 9 is a great looking mature buck. If he was better last year it would be hard for me to pass him this year.

Comment

Well, before I went to Beaumont for a week the milo was looking great with big fat grain filled heads on it. I went yesterday to plow up the wheat half of the plot and there is not a milo head to be seen. I'm glad to have deer but usually they do not eat my milo up till frost and I don't even have wheat planted yet. Not looking good for bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                        I've posted about 20 pics of him. (post 33, 34, 109).
                        How old do you think that buck is?
                        I hate trying to age deer before they're filled out for rut. But looking at last year photo in mid Oct, there's no way that's a 3 year old. This year we have very few 5 yrs and no 6 yrs, so he's likely 7 or older.

I expect you to post a photo of him in your hands next weekend.

Comment

Thought y'all might find this interesting.

I love spot and stalk, one of the blessings of the Panhandle. I did a lot in the early 90's at Matador WMA before it went to draw. I got in range a few times, but always went Full Retard when it came to shot time, 20 yards to a bedded buck just popped the adrenaline threshold. What can I say?

A while back on a friends ranch, I spotted a nice little mule deer about a 1/4 mile and wanted a picture. In less than about 20 minutes I was within 20 yds and snapping pictures. It didn't occur to me how calm I was about it until he stuck his head down behind a bush and I thought - I could've drawn my bow right there.

What do you think drives the different emotional responses between shooting with a camera vs with a bow? If I'd been bow hunting, it would've taken me over an hour to stalk into range then history would show I would've screwed up a shot opportunity. Ive done this several times with a camera. But put a bow in my hands and I turn into Gomer Pyle. What gives?!
                          Last edited by Top Of Texas; 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Those are great pics of the muley

Comment

Who's hunting this weekend?? Wish I were ready but I'm not.

Top of Texas, on Monday I had a TPWD pickup pass me at the 83/33 junction and there was a floppy eared dog riding shotgun. Was that you??

Comment

Can ya smell it???? Almost there!

Comment

Working...
                                X