No announcement yet.

Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear your getting back on the road Timm. Been kinda lurking here. Think I'll keep my old truck. Newer ones sound pretty complicated.

'89 GMC with a 5.7 and 268K+ mile gasser, never been rebuilt. And it's got stuff I don't understand why it needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
      What diablo tuner did you end up with ?
      ITUNE I2 for the GM gasoline engine. Watch a lot of videos before hand. Be sure to do the software update on the tuner before doing the upgrades.

Comment

89 Chevy Silverado SWB

Been very fortunate on my 89, 350 5.7 i have 672k miles. 330k on original
        engine and now 342k on rebuilt engine, I drive 100 miles a day 7 days a week
        change oil every 2 months (4k miles) Castrol oil!

Comment

Probably a little more costly than taping the red/blue wire back on, but at least you're back on the road Timm.
          Last edited by Leonhogboy; 03-29-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
            Probably a little more costly than taping the red/blue wire back on, but at least you're back on the road Timm.

Oh now you want to be funny!!!

Comment

My 08 consumed Lots of oil. It didn't start till after warranty was up, but at 3,000 miles I would have 1qt left. There were no leaks in the oil pan. These things just consumed oil due to the AFM. I traded it in and got a '14 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4. These newer engines now take 8.2qts of oil. Let's hope it doesn't consume oil and that GM fixed this issue. According to GM, they fixed the problems on most of the '13's and newer versions.
              Last edited by bgleaton; 03-31-2017, 06:59 AM.

Comment

We had an '03 Tahoe 4wd 5.3L that was taken very good care of but had to have the engine replaced at 100k miles. I bought an engine out of a wrecked truck that had 47k miles on it and paid an old man in Magnolia to install it. The engine and labor only cost me $1100. I then just turned around and sold the Tahoe never to buy a GM product again. I only buy Toyota and Nissan trucks now. Personally, I haven't had good luck with any of the GM or Dodge products we've owned that started to get near or over 100k miles. Maybe I just have bad luck because I have friends with 250k miles on their 5.3 L trucks.

Comment

The big secret to a long life on the 5.3 Generation engine is to drive the HAIL out of them and change oil more often than the book calls for. These motors don't like to be babied.

Comment

I have an 08 exact same truck. Just replaced all the lifters in mine. Had 3 lifters stick all of a sudden. Had 138,00 miles on it. Cost $3500 to get fixed.

Comment

The issues started around the 05-06 mark and I've seen it just recently in an 2011 suburban. Have replaced a few motors (5.3) here at the shop because of it. It starts out as a misfire on most occasions. Only one came in with an obvious tick. We have done 4 of these motors in the last 9 months alone. The lifters sit in a plastic cassette and most will slip the cassette & turn sideways. They are roller lifters so of course it eats the lifter, & damages the cam. Some get lucky & just have to replace cam & lifters, some not so lucky. It sucks because it's expensive. Worst thing Chevy could have come out with was AFM in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                        My 08 consumed Lots of oil. It didn't start till after warranty was up, but at 3,000 miles I would have 1qt left. There were no leaks in the oil pan. These things just consumed oil due to the AFM. I traded it in and got a '14 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4. These newer engines now take 8.2qts of oil. Let's hope it doesn't consume oil and that GM fixed this issue. According to GM, they fixed the problems on most of the '13's and newer versions.

One of the Chevy forums I visit has plenty of '14 owners complaining about the same issue as mine. Lots of owners just turn off the AFM and go on about their business. Jasper claims to have fixed the issue with the a redesigned lifter, but I just turned the AFM off.

No issues with this Jasper engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X