No announcement yet.

Propane Tank Deer Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built one like this but made it a stand and fill. Cut those legs down to get the top to about 6 ft then add one step that you can step up on as you dump in the bag. Will never build another feeder that needs a ladder. Mine holds almost 1000 lbs of corn

Comment

Okay taking the advice into consideration (I know nothin about metal so all comments are welcomed!) I have redrawn my design. At 81" with skids and 69" without, I'm hoping this is big enough footprint to be stable. I'd like to use 2" square tubing at the angles listed above and will gusset back with flat stock. I'll probably add another 3" at 45 deg on the end of the skids but don't like the idea of that sticking up off the ground like that.

I also plant to build a platform and ladder using the original feet of the tank as a mounting point. I'll work in that design next.

From here I just need to get the tubing and have it cut. Looks like a 24' stick will make cuts for two 75" legs and the 81" skid and leave me 57" that can be used as the platform or ladder steps.

What am I missing?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by muddyz; 03-11-2017, 12:13 PM. Reason: Edited to add a landscape picture of a portrait piece of paper (eye roll)

Comment

Here's what I did with mine . Great design,not sure on the leg angle but plenty strong . Holds 1000 lbs. my advice is if you put it on skids raise the cross braces on bottom a foot or so . It catches rocks bad if you drag it this way

Comment

Made some good progress this weekend. Got the legs on and tied into the skids as well as cut the hole for the feeder. Next step is build the platform and ladder and mount the motor. Still not sure if I'm going to just drill and tap screw the motor to the barrel of fab up some plat and weld that to the barrel.
          Attached Files

Comment

Coming along nicely.

Comment

Love me some welding projects!

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Looking good brother. You got it by the short hairs now.......

Comment

Working...
                  X