Beat by the wife....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat by the wife....

Started out waking up 30 mins late this morning and headed out to the stand. To say I was frustrated about sleepy head not getting out of bed was an understatement. But I tried to let it slide. As I imagined, doe were already under the feeder. However, the feeder motor went out 3 weeks ago and I had just replaced it last night.

So there we were, stuck, glassing from 500 yards with no way to make it to the stand. To make matters worse, I notice a doe with a really nice 8 following her down a fence line. Great..... 65 acres and only 10 of which deer use and we are stuck watching..

Needless to say we tried swinging around and closing the distance. Got within 250 but buck wasn’t giving an open shot. They peeled off and we tried to dog them and use terrain to wait for a shot. Big no go. By this point I’m ready to go get back in bed but the wife suggested we sit in the stand and wait. Why not? Bucks are following doe and you just never know.

Made it to the stand around 7:45. Sat back and glasses and was about to start Netflix or facebooking when I noticed a doe stepping out at 100 yards. We really didn’t pay much attention because we have a resident doe and two yearlings that hang around all the time. Shortly after she steps out another 8 pops out following her. I was shocked! Where did he come from? Told the wife to get the rifle out the window and get on him. I glanced him up and down and realized that this is the biggest deer we’ve seen on this place. I grew up on this 65 acres and deer have a short life expectancy around us. If he walks, he’s guaranteed to be shot at some point this season unless he’s very lucky.

As with any buck following a doe, they don’t stop. And this guy wasn’t wanting to. I told her the first chance she gets when he stops to kill him. After what seemed like forever, he stopped. Quartering away at 45 degrees and 140 yards. And just as I deliberated in telling her to wait she touched on off. 50 yards later he was done and piled up. She was very happy to say the least and I’m happy for her! Shot placement was perfect. Bullet broke 3 ribs going in about 8 inches behind the front shoulder and stopped in the ribs right behind the off shoulder. Easy tracking job!

So, with that said, my wife has beat me for the biggest deer shot off this place where I grew up. My dad is overly excited for her and really wants us to do a shoulder mount. Her an I agreed that we would most likely do just that since I think he is more happy and proud about the deer than we are! Anyways, sorry for the long story, but the deer are moving and the rut is firing up in grimes county near Iola TX.

Good luck to you guys and gals and the next on the list this year is for her to kill a deer with her bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations to your wife

Head mount for dad

Comment

Congrats to her on a beautiful Buck!

Comment

Congrats to your wife!

Comment

Congratulations to her!

Comment

Nice job
            Good deer

Comment

Congrats to her, and her guide, because we all know she couldn't have done it without you

Comment

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

Nice buck and congrats to her!

Comment

Congrats to your wife...

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice deer! Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                          Congrats to her, and her guide, because we all know she couldn't have done it without you

I’m hoping shes getting close to the point where she can do it on her own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck! Congratulations

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X