No announcement yet.

To shoot or not to shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say pass it down as is. It’s a collector, not a tool like all of mine.
    I got others guns to shoot for fun.

Comment

I was thinking I would shoot it then saw the pics!
      I believe I would still shoot it on special occasions and share it with the kids or grandchildren. That way the lucky child that gets it later will appreciate it and also keep it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

They can be rebuilt over and over. They are only new once. Keep it as is and buy a used one to shoot, like your dad asked you to.

Comment

I think some people misunderstand what my father said and meant. In 1985 he said when I inherited it not to shoot it because he thought it would be worth a lot of money as an unfired commemerative. There was no other reason. Since I have no desire to sell it, that was the only reason I considered firing it.

Right now I'm just having fun ogling it because it is a well balanced, beautiful revolver.

Comment

I'm in the don't shoot category. Why shoot it? If you've been around you've prolly shot .357s before. They all (586's) kick the same. No need to shoot it unless you have a need to shoot it, which you likely never will.

Question, do you have your old man's old duty weapon? That's the one I would shoot.

Comment

Is that the only revolver you own? If not then what do you gain by shooting it? As said by another member, it’s a 586, they all shoot the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If the man said don’t shoot it then don’t shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally wouldn't shoot it, but that's just me!

Comment

Nice gun Grizz, I wouldn't shoot it.

Comment

Don’t shoot it. If you do, it becomes just a nice gun your dad gave you.

Comment

I love that 586 and tote one at the ranch.. they shoot awesome! If you can, pick up a used 586 or 686 if you wanna blast some rounds. Yours is really cool.. I'd let it be unless you make into a special occasion and then the firing becomes really special to you and the kiddos

Comment

I personally would not shoot it.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            If the man said don’t shoot it then don’t shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Agreed. Don't shoot it. You must have others guns to shoot.

You would probably regret it down the line.

Comment

Definitely do not shoot it. Commemorative guns are meant to be displayed. I never understood why someone would shoot a commemorative gun like the Winchester Model 94's etc. If you want to shoot it buy a standard pistol of the same model.
                              I personally think you would regret shooting it the second after that first round left the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                                Not animals. I have a Arkansas State Police 50th anniversary S&W 586 revolver manufactured in 1985. I inherited it from my father, a retired ASP Sgt in 1996 when he died of cancer. He had told me to hang on it and not shoot it because it might be worth a lot some day.

It has been in my safe for 22 years, unfired and in new condition. I don't intend to sell it and it will be passed down to my kids one of these days. Recently I have read that those commemoratives don't demand a premium price anyway.

I'm trying to decide whether to take it out and shoot it. I really haven't come up with a good reason not to.
                                I'd shoot it.

I got a limited edition commemorative Gatorade at the convenience store and drank that sucker, but I'm a rule breaker... an outlaw!
                                Last edited by meltingfeather; 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X