FORD 6.7 DIESEL PSA - Intercooler pipe failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
    Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit For 2011-2016 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel 6.7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRLF23W..._qM6jzb1RHBKA0

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Just now trying to grasp all of this- the link you posted would still utilize the stock throttle body plate (butterfly valve in housing between turbo and intercooler).

I've seen some pics online of people cleaning theirs when the connecting pipe blows and they are covered in soot. Even from EGR deleted trucks.

The kits that replace the butterfly valve connection bolt up instead of sliding on and are running ~$100-150 more than the ones that use the stock mount onto the throttle body.
    The ones being sold to replace the throttle body say tuning is required to bypass the throttle body.
    Easy enough- maybe. Is a regular tuner that deleted the DPF and EGR already no longer utilizing the throttle body plate?

something like this one-

I'm liking this one-

they are also running 10% off for memorial day so once I find out about the tuner I might be on the hook.
    Last edited by DaveC; 05-25-2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Good to know. Going to have my BIL order me one today so I can keep it in the toolbox. I am at 150K on my 2012 with no issues at all with the truck so far.

Comment

Thanks for the info, haven't heard of this yet.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! Just cracked 100k on my 12 without a problem so far.
          REALLY want to get it deleted but not sure which way to go.

Comment

Im good, thanks though. Got me a roll of duct tape in the tool box

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

looks like the plastic coolant line y fitting on the 6.7 cummins. why they make these parts out of plastic is beyond me. I replaced mine with an aftermarket billet aluminum

Comment

Happened to me on my '13 about a month ago at 115k miles. Pulled into a little shop in Moulton, TX at about 8:30am and they were able to get the part and have me back on the road after lunch. Haven't done so yet but I will probably buy a spare just to keep in the tool box if it happens again. About everyone I know that owns a 6.7 has had it happen, which I figured out after it happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                    Im good, thanks though. Got me a roll of duct tape in the tool box

The roll of duct tape might work if it blows on the pipe itself, but where mine blew I couldn't get a complete pass around the collar so it would pop back off if I sped up too much. Made a nice growl with it off.
                    It stayed on while driving 35 on the hazard lane of I-10, once I hit Kerrville traffic it kept popping off. I'm guessing there is back pressure on the pipe when shifting gears / boost is fluctuating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      The roll of duct tape might work if it blows on the pipe itself, but where mine blew I couldn't get a complete pass around the collar so it would pop back off if I sped up too much. Made a nice growl with it off.
                      It stayed on while driving 35 on the hazard lane of I-10, once I hit Kerrville traffic it kept popping off. I'm guessing there is back pressure on the pipe when shifting gears / boost is fluctuating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just kidding about the duct tape. Id rather have it resolved before getting to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got me paranoid now, at 115k on my 2011, afraid to look. Guess I better either get a spare or have a metal one put on. Wife says I am going to be buried in the truck, lol. Hope it lasts a longgggg time. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                          looks like the plastic coolant line y fitting on the 6.7 cummins. why they make these parts out of plastic is beyond me. I replaced mine with an aftermarket billet aluminum

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24497439

This is mine, on a '03 F350..6.0.

It broke, at 12,000 ft. Elevation, going up Boreas Pass into Breck, CO.

Dumped all my coolant, cost 450.$ " with my Volunteer Firefighter discount " to get wreckered down the mountain.

Name:	IMG_1316.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24497440

What a pain in the arse that was. Had to drive 150 miles round trip to Silverthorne to get the parts.

I had a good support staff. Thank you to Jefferson-Como Vol. Fire Department.

Name:	IMG_1317.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	24497441

Comment

I need to do this when i delete i guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just replaced mine this morning because of this thread. I bought the one from amazon. Not to hard except the clamps they provide are a little to small to make it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                                Thanks for the heads up! Just cracked 100k on my 12 without a problem so far.

REALLY want to get it deleted but not sure which way to go.

Go Spartan! Spartan Phalanx

Comment

Working...
                                X