No announcement yet.

Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t believe some of the mileage claims on the 5.0. I just filled up and calculated 16.1 90% highway @78mph. This is an 18 with no modifications and 8000 miles.

Comment

I get 16.2 combined city/hwy with a lift and larger tires. My calculations, not the computer. Speedo is calibrated correctly.

Before the modifications, I was getting 18+ city/hwy and 22+ hwy.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
        I’ve got a 2016 5.0 and it has been great. Make sure you don’t get the 22gallon fuel tank. I didn’t realize mine had that tiny fuel tank and it’s my only complaint about the truck
        X2 on this ^^^^^

I thought a 36 gallon tank was normal for f150's (my fault on doing research) and I was freaking furious when I found out mine had the 22 or 23 gallon tank the day after I bought it lol

IM about 15 city and 17ish highway for mine also. I drive 77 in a 70 and live with the cruise on so Im sure going the speed limit with no cruise helps on mpg's

Comment

I work at a Ford dealership as a technician I have a 5.0, the 3.5 and the 2.7 are faster and more towing , they are great engines till they are not, we replace probably 5 to 1 2.7 to 5.0 and probably 3 to 1 on 3.5 engines . I will say this all 3 you have to stay on top of the oil changes you miss many and you will need an engine .

Comment

I asked several mechanics, private and Ford employed. Everyone one of them said 5.0, ecoboost is good till something goes bad and then it goes real bad. No thanks.

Comment

I have a 2016 5.0 Supercrew FX4, and I average 17.5 mpg mixed driving, 21-22 mpg highway under 70mph, and 18-18.5 mpg 75mph and above. Haven't towed yet, and didn't buy it anticipating towing much more than a utility trailer with a 4 wheeler. For me long term engine reliabilty was my focus, so I chose the 5.0. Two family memebers and my next door neighbor have the 3.5 Ecoboost with no problems, and love the power, speed, and torque, and none have had any engine issues. For me more moving parts and more plumbing meant the potential for more things to go wrong and costlier repairs.

Comment

I had the Eco Boost in my 2014 and had quite a few issues with it - the last one of which was at around 95K miles and was a pricey fix. I think it was around $2k.

On my 2017, I got the 5.0 instead, partially because I got a better deal. I don't it pulls a trailer as well my 2014 and just about everything else on the two trucks were the same.

I would go with the Eco Boost if I had it do over.

A Ford service guy I know told me later that the problems I had with my 2014 had been pretty much worked out and he recommended the Eco Boost. Said that was the engine of Ford's future and they were pouring lots of R&D into. And it does pull better, according to him.

Comment

5.0 with the svt supercharger (if installed at a dealership, will maintain factory warranty) and don’t look back...

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                    Good thread. I was going to post the same question and found this one. I'm going back to a F150 when I sell my Cummins.
                    You just got that thing!

Comment

I had my 2012 f-150 3.5l ecoboost do the exact same thing. I fixed it by replacing plugs and gapped them .030, coils and (this sounds crazy but worked)drilling the bottom of the intercooler on drivers side with a 1/16" bit. Never had another issue. It even fixed the hesitation when you punched it.
                      Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                      I may have had a Lemon, but not my problem anymore. Some may recall the various threads I put on asking for advice so here's the basics:

2013 Ford King Ranch with the Eco engine. LOVED the truck and look but right around 70K miles, here we go...sudden loss of power, engine light on, scared the hell out of me since I'm retired now.

Had it repaired, repaired again...drove great for a day or two and here we go again. Finally had 2 Ford mechanics, one on TBH, tell me they had seen a LOT of problems with this year model and also seen engine replacements less than 150K miles? They BOTH told me, in all fairness, that models after 2013 were much better but did not help me.

Got rid of it and happy with my Tundra now. I know, we all can have great rides, but there is always one and with me it was the Eco in this year model. NOT bashing, just my experience. Oh....this particular ECO engine had lot's of power until I had to tow my 16' Tandum with a Crew UTV...still had response but averaged less than 10MPG...but again...not just the Eco. Tundra MPG sucks but it has all the power I need in the 5.7.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                        I'm driving a '14 F150 Limited 4x4 with the EB and 36g fuel tank. Lifted and tuned. Now at 90,000 miles. No issues. Just put in a new battery, Motorcraft's best plugs, and all fluids. I have confidence in this engine and transmission.

Truck flies from 30-100mph.
                        What tune are you running on yours?

Comment

I haven't read thru all the replies, but I have a 7 month old F150 with the 3.5 EB that I am very pleased with. It has the tow package (3.55 rear end with 35 gal tank) and has plenty of pep and pulling torque, and still gets 22 MPG on hwy. I had a F250 before and feel as if I've not given up anything (except poor gas mileage). You are welcome to test drive if interested.

Comment

I have the 2.7 ecoboost, wish I had the 3.5. It's very powerful though, and I get 23 mpg.

Can't really go wrong with that.

Comment

I'm on my second 5.0. I've had a 13' and now this 15'. Two weeks ago pulled a 8k 32' TT from Sonora to Houston and avg. 8.7mpg. Truck towed great. I've been very happy with the 5.0. A PMAS intake and Oz tune will wake it up a bit too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                                What tune are you running on yours?
                                Nothing Exotic. Just a Super Chips

Comment

Working...
                                X