No announcement yet.

New rule in my boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is really not a rule it is common sense.

Comment

hmm, I'm bad about wearing mine. Of course the kids always have them on but I can see a good point here, one stump, you get knocked out, its over real fast. yikes

Comment

In 1989, I was thrown from and run over twice by my own boat. To this day, I believe not having a life jacket on saved my life. I also believe this to be the case in .000001 percent of all boating accidents

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
          hmm, I'm bad about wearing mine. Of course the kids always have them on but I can see a good point here, one stump, you get knocked out, its over real fast. yikes
          I was the same way for a while, making my kids wear one but I wouldn't. And one day it hit me that if I were to be knocked unconscious in a wreck they could very likely watch me die...

For a few years now my rule has been everybody wears them no matter how hot it is or how much of a pain it can be!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

One more note, I read somewhere when I was looking into the inflatables that they are not recommended for non-swimmers.

One other thing I'll mention, in addition to wearing your life jacket while underway, make sure your kill switch works and make sure you are hooked up every time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Double L View Post
              One more note, I read somewhere when I was looking into the inflatables that they are not recommended for non-swimmers.

One other thing I'll mention, in addition to wearing your life jacket while underway, make sure your kill switch works and make sure you are hooked up every time!!!
              Amen to that second paragraph

Comment

I don't wear my life vest like I should but I ALWAYS wear my kill switch while running the motor. Seen some accidents over the years in West Matagorda that could have been avoided if they had the kill switch clipped to them. A boat going in circles with people in the water is something I hope I never see again.

Comment

Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".
                    WE have the red colored Mustangs for the fishing boat and Camo Onyx for the airboat.

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Good Topic. I have inflatables but I do worry if they will activate. Also, Inflatables are not CG approved on kids under 13 years old, no matter how big they are in stature. Secondly, an inflatable is only counted as a PFD in the boat if it's worn. I know it's a grey area but by the letter of the law, if you're not wearing it, you need to have a traditional life vest in the boat for each person.

Anytime the big motor is running, we have them on unless we are idling from one spot to another across a cove in broad daylight.

Comment

I bought my Dad one and he wears it from backing the boat down the ramp until it’s strapped back down on the trailer loaded and headed to the house.

Comment

I've seen them deploy about 10 times and never seen one fail. I hear people saying they are not guaranteed to work but I've never seen it and looked for evidence of a failure and can't find one. Founds lots of article about having them in craft and not worn. Anyone ever had one fail?

Comment

Make sure you buy high quality self inflatables. Mustang is all we have worn through years of saltwater tournaments. We tested some cheap bass pro models that we had as extras. There was a lot of corrosion around the CO2 canister and one of the two did not inflate. Mustang jacket and the kill switch can save your life.

Comment

I've seen them deploy about 10 times and never seen one fail. I hear people saying they are not guaranteed to work but I've never seen it and looked for evidence of a failure and can't find one. Founds lots of article about having them in craft and not worn. Anyone ever had one fail?

Same here. Been wearing an automatic inflatable for over 10 years and never had one fail, even the cheaper brands.

Comment

Working...
                                X