New rule in my boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rule in my boat

Over the years I have been present for 4 major incidents that could have easily ended in death. Some of these did end up with major injuries as in multiple surgeries and weeks in the hospital for some. I have been on a boat where one occupant was knock out and off the boat, under water unconscious. During the hurricane evacuations I went by Academy and bought a zipper bag full of life vests. The manager was there and we started a conversation. When I told him where we were headed he handed me self inflating life vest and said try it out and I'll make it 50% off. I wore it through the duration of the evacuations. I pretty much forgot I had it on.

I just feel like there is no reason to push the envelope. They have made safety so much more comfortable I just decided to draw the line. The new rule is if your feet are on my boat, you're wearing a life jacket, end of story.

As I read this, i couldnt help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, you are kinda bad luck to be around......

just jokes..
    nothing wrong with minimizing risk on your equipment

Comment

Seems like this would be a reasonable and commonplace rule....but it's not. I have a boat and the only people that wear life vests are kids or if I'm running alone. That's just stupid. One stump or a drunk idiot can ruin everything and that vest can be the difference between living and dying.

Comment

My wife and I wear the self inflating vests.
        Half the time I forget I have it on until I get back home.
        Last edited by Buff; 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I don't wear mine I'm a great swimmer

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Seems like this would be a reasonable and commonplace rule....but it's not. I have a boat and the only people that wear life vests are kids or if I'm running alone. That's just stupid. One stump or a drunk idiot can ruin everything and that vest can be the difference between living and dying.
            I agree. I need to be more conscious of putting mine on when running.

Comment

Good for you!!

After having been all over the western pacific on Aircraft carriers and frigates and destroyers having been the chief engineer on the admirals barge and the captain’s gig that has always been the policy even when the admiral came aboard he put on a life jacket he did not always like it.
              but after having seen more events than I can remember or care to recall safety is no joke anyone on a boat should wear a life jacket I don’t care how well you can swim how physically fit you are none of that helps if you’re hit in the head knocked unconscious or shot/slashed open by a Rogue cable and land in the water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
                Only if you are alert. Even then there's no telling how far you will have to swim.

Comment

Good policy to have.

Be sure to keep "regular" life jackets stowed away. Those inflatables arn't 100% reliable.

Life jackets and kill switches save lives.

Comment

Originally posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
                    How well do you Swim Unconcious?

Life Jacket is the Cheapest Insurance you will ever BUY.

Comment

Fishing tournaments for so long it just becomes habit, like automatically putting my seatbelt on in the truck

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        As I read this, i couldnt help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, you are kinda bad luck to be around......

just jokes..
                        nothing wrong with minimizing risk on your equipment
                        Maybe so but as I read this, I couldn't help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, its my responsibility to change that bad luck to good.

Comment

My dad always wore a self inflating until this last year he came in off the lake in a rain storm and it went off. He said it scared 5 years off his life. He now wares a self inflating that you have to pull a cord to activate. If you are knocked out of the boat unconscious I don't think this will be much help. Is there a water activated self inflating life vest that won't go off in a rain storm?

Comment

Your boat, your rules.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                              Maybe so but as I read this, I couldn't help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, its my responsibility to change that bad luck to good.
                              That is a great way to look at it! Kudos for being proactive and looking out for everyone's safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X