hog hunting in harris county parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hog hunting in harris county parks

Anyone got any idea how to sign up for this. I saw this on the news this morning.

"Now one county commissioner has come up with an idea that he thinks would help keep down the population of feral hogs. It involves bows, arrows and feeding the hungry.
    As rural areas are transformed into subdivisions and parks, feral hogs are coming into contact with people and the people don't like it. While this is not a unique problem to Harris County, the idea of how to take care of it could be. The estimated population of feral hogs in Texas is in excess of 1.5 million animals. Plenty of those roam west Harris County along the bayous, near homes, George Bush Park and at a shooting range. "

Saw that too last night. I live about a mile from George Bush and see hogs all the time in the fields or in the road after they destroy someones car. I sure would love to slip in there with my Hoyt.

Comment

I live about two miles from George Bush Park, and I see those things come all up into Cinco Ranch and root up peoples front yards! There's tons of them out there.

Comment

sign me up!

Comment

here is the news link

Comment

same discussion...

Comment

where is the signup sheet?

If they would buy a clue they would realize also that they could charge a small fee (just enough to cover the running of the program) and it would not cost the county or city a dime.

Comment

May be Montgomery County will follow suit! Have you seen all the dead hogs on the side of the road lately?

Comment

I am game for Harris and Montgomery counties!!

Comment

What kind of crap is this?
                    Only 4 hunters going to get access to George Bush.
                    I'm sorry but that's not going to put a dent in these hogs.
                    Paper says the lead hunter of a archery club is already chosen and he will choose 3 more.

If you do the math on this you can see how silly the choice of only 4 hunters is.
                    Ok let's say 8000 acres.
                    Average of 100 acres per person.
                    80 hunters
                    Taking approximatly 10 to 20 pigs each is only 800 to 1600 pigs out of the estimated 10 to 15 thousand they say is in the park. Not counting 50% of these are possibly sows having pigglets 4 times a year. And 6 months later these sow pigglets are popping out pigs as well.

Now how do they think 4 hunters will do the job?
                    To me it sounds like someone knows someone and getting the good ole boy click going.
                    If it is really a problem surely someone would have figured this out by now.

I'm with the rest of you guys who would love a chance to hunt this park, like someof you. I'm only 30 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
                      What kind of crap is this?
                      Only 4 hunters going to get access to George Bush.
                      I'm sorry but that's not going to put a dent in these hogs.
                      Paper says the lead hunter of a archery club is already chosen and he will choose 3 more.

If you do the math on this you can see how silly the choice of only 4 hunters is.
                      Ok let's say 8000 acres.
                      Average of 100 acres per person.
                      80 hunters
                      Taking approximatly 10 to 20 pigs each is only 800 to 1600 pigs out of the estimated 10 to 15 thousand they say is in the park. Not counting 50% of these are possibly sows having pigglets 4 times a year. And 6 months later these sow pigglets are popping out pigs as well.

Now how do they think 4 hunters will do the job?
                      To me it sounds like someone knows someone and getting the good ole boy click going.
                      If it is really a problem surely someone would have figured this out by now.

I'm with the rest of you guys who would love a chance to hunt this park, like someof you. I'm only 30 minutes away.
                      Agree, 4 hunter won't make a dent. The all out hunting everyday would put massive pressure on the hogs. They would not be able to survive with so many bow hunters. I have no problem with a limit each day or some sign up sheet but 4 is a joke. It won't get it done.

Ranchdog

Comment

Hopefully, the 4 hunter number is a test because like Tomkat said, 4 hunters on 8,000 acres won't make a dent in the hog population.

I also seriously doubt there are 10-15K hogs in the park. I am in the park frequently and there are a lot of hogs but not 2/acre.

Comment

Maybe after trying this out for a bit they will notice that their gonna need a bit more man power, and start running day hunts out there. I know "wishful thinking"....

Comment

I saw the article in the Houston Chronicle and initial 4 hunters is a test program.

Comment

Test for what?
                              20 to 30 more taken a year then the 3 and 400 they trap already?
                              It even states in the paper that the 10 years of trapping the 3 and 400 trapped are replenished in the first litter LOL.

Also in the other thread on this topic I noticed a statement thinking it is 4 hunters at a time. I don't think that is the case after reading this article.
                              It says the "lead" hunter has been chosen.

That to me, means he is a perminate hunter.

Then it says " he is the one who will choose his hunting companions"

This to me, means it is not 4 at a time. But these chosen ones only.

Ok let's say it is a test to see if bowhunting will help.
                              What's the main goal here?
                              Are we feeding and supporting the hungry?
                              Or
                              Is the number of the hogs a real problem and the guy is using " feeding the hungry" to mask the real deal of what is going on here? Was they feeding the hungry already when trapping them for 10 years?

I'm all for feeding the hungry. But to make it even partially effctive you still need more then 4 hunters.
                              Something is a miss here, and as it stands now it will fail.

What's the saying?
                              Don't pee down my back, and tell me it is raining.
                              Last edited by tx07; 03-13-2009, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X